I've tried searching the archives for a solution to this, but I was unable
to find it. So, I hope you'll forgive my newbie question if it's been asked
before. I'm trying to backup a database on our company's server. First I
create the backup (pg_dump [databasename] > backup.dump) then I create a new
database [databasename2]. When I try to move the dump to the new database
(pg_restore [databasenam2] < backup.dump) it gives me this error:

pg_restore: [archiver] could not open input file: No such file or directory

I get the same even if I give the absolute path for backup.dump. I assume
that postgres is looking somewhere else for my file, but being fairly new to
SQL, I don't know where that is or where to find out. So, any help or hints
you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Curtis Mortensen

Search Discussions

  • Giles Lean at Sep 6, 2002 at 10:50 pm

    Curtis Mortensen asked:

    When I try to move the dump to the new database
    (pg_restore [databasenam2] < backup.dump) it gives me this error:

    pg_restore: [archiver] could not open input file: No such file or directory
    To specify the database name to restore to, you want the --dbname option:

    $ pg_restore --dbname=databasenam2 < backup.dump

    Regards,

    Giles
  • Giles Lean at Sep 7, 2002 at 2:35 am
    Hi Curtis,
    thanks for the advice. i now have a different error. :(
    I suspected you would, but without knowing the commands you were using
    decided guessing would only be confusing! Only the archive formats
    from pg_dump are intended to be used with pg_restore. The default
    output can be restored by psql:

    $ pg_dump fubar > fubar.sql
    $ createdb fubar2
    CREATE DATABASE
    $ psql fubar2 < fubar.sql
    You are now connected as new user giles.
    CREATE
    $

    $ pg_dump --format=c fubar > fubar.dump
    $ createdb fubar2
    CREATE DATABASE
    $ pg_restore --dbname=fubar2 < fubar.dump
    pg_restore: [archiver] WARNING:
    Data restoration may fail because existing triggers cannot be disabled
    (no superuser user name specified). This is only a problem when
    restoring into a database with already existing triggers.
    $

    Regards,

    Giles
  • Curtis Mortensen at Sep 9, 2002 at 9:53 pm
    I finally got a chance to try out your suggestions, but it seems that
    something I'm doing is still wrong.

    When I try the first method described below, I get this error:

    You are now connected as new user postgres.
    ERROR: function plpgsql_call_handler already exists with same argument
    types
    ERROR: Language plpgsql already exists
    \connect: FATAL 1: IDENT authentication failed for user "cmortensen"

    When I try the other method, I get this error:

    pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR: function
    plpgsql_call_handler already exists with same argument types

    I get the impression that the problem is deeper than just trying to backup,
    but being a very green novice to Postgres, I'm not sure where to start
    tracking the problem to its source...

    Thanks for all your help so far :)
[...]

  • Curtis Mortensen at Sep 11, 2002 at 9:50 pm
    In case anyone else was following my problem and wanted to know how to
    resolve it, I'll post what the solution was...

    I had a bunch of '/connect user' commands in my dump file causing the ident
    authentication errors. I took those out and the plpgsql stuff that I didn't
    need in the dump, and that restored everything fine to a new database,
    except that none of my web applications could get in. That was when i
    realized that I'd left out the authorization stuff in pg_hba.conf. When I
    added that, everything worked great.

[...]

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql
postedSep 6, '02 at 7:07p
activeSep 11, '02 at 9:50p
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Curtis Mortensen: 3 posts Giles Lean: 2 posts