Hi.

I have a table whose pg_class.relfilenode is, as you can
tell, 619703, and I see that pg 7.2.1 automagically splits
the makes a new container file at the exact 1GiB mark.

$ ls -aFl 619703*
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 May 21 13:38 619703
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 May 21 02:05 619703.1
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 May 21 13:39 619703.2
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 1073741824 May 21 14:19 619703.3
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 234250240 May 21 15:09 619703.4

Apart from allowing me to spread large tables across multiple
drives using symlinks (that _is_ the preferred method, correct?),
what is the reason for splitting filenodes at the 1GB mark?
Why not 2GB (2^31).

Thanks,
Ron
Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net |
Jefferson, LA USA http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
"I have created a government of whirled peas..." |
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002, |
! CNN, Larry King Live |

  • Tom Lane at May 22, 2002 at 12:07 am

    Ron Johnson writes:
    what is the reason for splitting filenodes at the 1GB mark?
    Why not 2GB (2^31).
    Some platforms fail on files >= 2GB. Maybe it's only > 2GB,
    or maybe there is funny boundary behavior. We didn't see any
    point in taking a risk.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql