-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: pgaccess connection problems
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:34:59 -0800
From: Rabin Nathan <rnathan@telus.net>
To: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org

Hi,
I am a novice user hence the novice question. I am able to connect to to
the Postmaster using 'psql' while in console mode and in an xterm
window. However when I try to connect using 'pgaccess' from the same
xterm window or when starting up the program from a window manager I get
a 'connection failed message' followed by the much quoted - 'is the
postmaster running on the local host, started with the 'i' option and
listening on port 5432.' During all this the user name remained the
same and the Postmaster was running in the background. I am running
Linux and the kernel version is 2.4.8.

I am not connected via a network hence I don't see the need for the 'i'
option. I have tried it and it causes problems with 'psql..' All
connections are made to the local host.

There is not much documentation on 'pgaccess' other than the man page.
Any insight into the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Rabin

Search Discussions

  • Josh Berkus at Jan 29, 2002 at 10:47 pm
    Rabin,
    I am a novice user hence the novice question.
    Welcome to the novice list, then.
    I am able to connect to
    to the Postmaster using 'psql' while in console mode and in an xterm
    window. However when I try to connect using 'pgaccess' from the same
    xterm window or when starting up the program from a window manager I
    get a 'connection failed message' followed by the much quoted - 'is
    the postmaster running on the local host, started with the 'i'
    option and listening on port 5432.' During all this the user name
    remained the same and the Postmaster was running in the background.
    I am running Linux and the kernel version is 2.4.8.
    I am not connected via a network hence I don't see the need for the
    'i' option.
    All programs that need to connect to Postgres except for the postgres
    utilities must use the TCP/IP interface to connect. Thus, while psql
    and pg_dump will work without "-i", pgaccess and pgadmin will not.
    Nor will you be able to access Postgres from, for example, a web
    server on the same machine.
    I have tried it and it causes problems with 'psql..'
    All connections are made to the local host.
    Running postmaster "-i" should not cause problems with psql. This is
    how postmaster is usually run.
    There is not much documentation on 'pgaccess' other than the man
    page. Any insight into the problem would be greatly appreciated.
    No. In fact, the PGAccess project has pretty much stalled (for the
    last year) due to lack of interest from the Postgres community. IF
    anyone on this list wants to do some TCL programming, or raise money
    for the same, contact Constantin Theodescu (sp?) about working on
    PGAccess.

    -Josh

    Josh Berkus
    Complete information technology josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
    for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533
  • Tom Lane at Jan 29, 2002 at 11:57 pm

    "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
    All programs that need to connect to Postgres except for the postgres
    utilities must use the TCP/IP interface to connect. Thus, while psql
    and pg_dump will work without "-i", pgaccess and pgadmin will not.
    Not sure that that's 100% true. If you tell any of these programs to
    connect to host "localhost", they will certainly go via TCP --- and
    hence fail if the postmaster hasn't got -i. But on at least some of
    the GUI interfaces, putting an empty entry in the "host" dialog box
    will result in a Unix-socket connection not a TCP connection to
    localhost. (The Unix-socket method is what psql and pgdump use by
    default.) For that, you don't need -i.

    Dunno if that applies to pgaccess, but try it.

    regards, tom lane
  • Oliver Elphick at Jan 30, 2002 at 6:58 am

    Not sure that that's 100% true. If you tell any of these programs to
    connect to host "localhost", they will certainly go via TCP --- and
    hence fail if the postmaster hasn't got -i. But on at least some of
    the GUI interfaces, putting an empty entry in the "host" dialog box
    will result in a Unix-socket connection not a TCP connection to
    localhost. (The Unix-socket method is what psql and pgdump use by
    default.) For that, you don't need -i.

    Dunno if that applies to pgaccess, but try it.
    It does.

    --
    Oliver Elphick Oliver.Elphick@lfix.co.uk
    Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver

    "The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of
    temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of
    judgment to be punished;" II Peter 2:9

grouppgsql-novice @
categoriespostgresql
postedJan 29, '02 at 9:57p