Hello support,

I do not understand why I would need to completely install Postgre on my
server to connect to a remote Postgre server.

Can you help me w/ this? I am trying to run 'install DBD::Pg' using CPAN and
it is asking me for the "Path to pg_config".

Is there some other way I can install DBD:Pg without having to install a
full version of Postgre on my machine? I would think I wouldn't have to
have Postgre on my local machine to connect to another Postgre DB on an
external machine.

Please help!

================

Beniamin Sabadus

Computer Engineer

UpSNAPR

<http://www.upsnap.com/> www.upsnap.com

Office: 704.895.4121

Search Discussions

  • Gregory Stark at Feb 13, 2008 at 1:34 am

    "Ben Sabadus" <Ben.Sabadus@upsnap.com> writes:

    Can you help me w/ this? I am trying to run 'install DBD::Pg' using CPAN and
    it is asking me for the "Path to pg_config".

    Is there some other way I can install DBD:Pg without having to install a
    full version of Postgre on my machine? I would think I wouldn't have to
    have Postgre on my local machine to connect to another Postgre DB on an
    external machine.
    Well CPAN is trying to compile DBD::Pg from source. You don't even need a
    complete Postgres install for that, just the development libraries. You don't
    explain what operating system you're using but for example most Linux
    distributions have a separate package for the development libraries.

    Alternatively if your operating system has it you could install a precompiled
    DBD::Pg packages instead of compiling from source. On Debian it's called
    libdbd-pg-perl for example.

    --
    Gregory Stark

grouppgsql-interfaces @
categoriespostgresql
postedFeb 12, '08 at 6:19p
activeFeb 13, '08 at 1:34a
websitepostgresql.org
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Gregory Stark: 1 post Ben Sabadus: 1 post