The list of enhancements for version 6.5 is amazing. My thanks to everyone
for the support they are giving this database. I am finding a pleasure to
work with PostgreSQL. Please excuse me for bringing these two issues up
again but they are still cause me some problems:

1) if a C function call in a SQL statement contains a null parameter
value, the C function returns NULL. I would like to be able to accept a
NULL parameter value in my C function and still return a value. The plpgsql
language supports this. I am wondering if the C interface could work the
same way the plpgsql language works and allow null values to be converted to
non null values.

2) Access 97 is generating the following SQL statement: 'select
"orderlines"."orderlinesid" from "orderlines" where (NULL = "orderid")'.
This fails in PostgreSQL and causes an error in my Access97 application.
This happens when I try an insert a new record using a form that contains a
parent child relationship on orders and orderlines. What are others doing
to work around this problem? One suggested work around was the following
enhancement to gram.y:
NULL_P '=' a_expr
{ $$ = makeA_Expr(ISNULL,
NULL, $3,
NULL); }

I have made this enhancement to my version 6.4.2 and it solved my
problem. I would like to see this issue resolved in version 6.5 of
PostgreSQL?

Thanks, Michael

Search Discussions

  • Bruce Momjian at Mar 19, 1999 at 10:44 pm

    2) Access 97 is generating the following SQL statement: 'select
    "orderlines"."orderlinesid" from "orderlines" where (NULL = "orderid")'.
    This fails in PostgreSQL and causes an error in my Access97 application.
    This happens when I try an insert a new record using a form that contains a
    parent child relationship on orders and orderlines. What are others doing
    to work around this problem? One suggested work around was the following
    enhancement to gram.y:
    NULL_P '=' a_expr
    { $$ = makeA_Expr(ISNULL,
    NULL, $3,
    NULL); }

    I have made this enhancement to my version 6.4.2 and it solved my
    problem. I would like to see this issue resolved in version 6.5 of
    PostgreSQL?
    It is in the 6.5 tree already. It is generating a shift/reduce
    conflict, so someone is going to figure out how to fix that.

    maillist@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 853-3000

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedMar 19, '99 at 10:35p
activeMar 19, '99 at 10:44p
websitepostgresql.org...
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Michael Davis: 1 post Bruce Momjian: 1 post