I was able to fix this problem by recompiling everything using
xlc 3.6.4 (AIX native compiler). This leads me to believe there
is some evil bug in gcc.

I have no idea how to pursue this. For now I will just use xlc.

If anyone wants to try and solve this and needs help, I will keep
the gcc build tree I have and give any assistance requested.

Thanks.

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Mar 4, 1999 at 3:07 pm

    "David R. Favor" <dfavor@gate.corridor.com> writes:
    I was able to fix this problem by recompiling everything using
    xlc 3.6.4 (AIX native compiler). This leads me to believe there
    is some evil bug in gcc.
    ... where apparently "gcc" = "egcs-2.93.08 19990214".

    I'm not sure about the stability of egcs releases; do you have a
    production release there or just a beta?

    You might have better luck with gcc 2.8.1 or even 2.7.2. (I've
    been using 2.7.2.2 for several years with nary a bug, though
    admittedly I don't do anything with templates or exceptions...)

    regards, tom lane
  • The Hermit Hacker at Mar 4, 1999 at 3:39 pm

    I was able to fix this problem by recompiling everything using
    xlc 3.6.4 (AIX native compiler). This leads me to believe there
    is some evil bug in gcc.
    ... where apparently "gcc" = "egcs-2.93.08 19990214".

    I'm not sure about the stability of egcs releases; do you have a
    production release there or just a beta?
    I'm using 1.1.1 athome...I suspect that unless you start using C++ stuff,
    egcs should be as stable, if not more so, then gcc ... the C++ stuff
    appears to be their primary focus, as its totally broken in gcc ..

    Marc G. Fournier
    Systems Administrator @ hub.org
    primary: scrappy@hub.org secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org
  • The Hermit Hacker at Mar 4, 1999 at 3:13 pm

    I was able to fix this problem by recompiling everything using
    xlc 3.6.4 (AIX native compiler). This leads me to believe there
    is some evil bug in gcc.

    I have no idea how to pursue this. For now I will just use xlc.

    If anyone wants to try and solve this and needs help, I will keep
    the gcc build tree I have and give any assistance requested.
    What version of gcc, and have you tried egcs 1.1.1?

    Marc G. Fournier
    Systems Administrator @ hub.org
    primary: scrappy@hub.org secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org
  • David R. Favor at Mar 4, 1999 at 3:19 pm
    I'm using egcs 1.1.1.
  • Thomas G. Lockhart at Mar 5, 1999 at 2:40 am

    I was able to fix this problem by recompiling everything using
    xlc 3.6.4 (AIX native compiler). This leads me to believe there
    is some evil bug in gcc.
    I have no idea how to pursue this. For now I will just use xlc.
    If anyone wants to try and solve this and needs help, I will keep
    the gcc build tree I have and give any assistance requested.
    If you would like to start a doc/FAQ_AIX this would be a good thing to
    start with...

    And if you want to submit a patch for the conditional definition of data
    types try something like

    $ diff -c file.h.orig file.h > file.h.patch

    - Tom

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedMar 4, '99 at 2:55p