I've posted a tarball of the new standalone psqlODBC code at

ftp://postgresql.org/pub/patches/psqlodbc-025-6.4beta.tar.gz

along with a tarball of the html Programmer's Guide which contains a
chapter on installation and usage instructions for psqlODBC. The docs
include updates from Gerald, Robert, and Cary. btw, the code tarball is
identical to that currently in the main Postgres cvs tree afaik.

I've also put new tarballs of beta versions of html docs for the Admin
Guide, the User's Guide, and the "integrated docs" in the same area.

Oh, for background: this tarball will allow one to use Applix Data
(4.4.1) with the Postgres RDBMS. It is based on the current psqlODBC
distribution at www.insightdist.com and at postgresql.org, but has minor
code and major configure changes to allow building on Unix systems.

Let me know how it goes! I'm out of town tomorrow, but will be back
Thursday. Cary O'Brien has been providing info and user-support for the
Applix Data ODBC interface for PostgreSQL, and will likely be posting
more info to help get folks started.

- Tom

Search Discussions

  • Gerald Gryschuk at Oct 22, 1998 at 4:38 am

    Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

    I've posted a tarball of the new standalone psqlODBC code at

    ftp://postgresql.org/pub/patches/psqlodbc-025-6.4beta.tar.gz
    I don't mean to nitpick Thomas, heck I'm the one that suggested
    you rename the distribution to temporarily distinguish it from
    the Insightdist driver. But I'm afraid the above name might
    "scare" off people who think that it is only for PostgreSQL v6.4.

    If its not too much trouble can you just drop the 6.4(leave in
    beta of course).
    --
    Gerald Gryschuk
    gerald.gryschuk@home.com

    I've posted a tarball of the new standalone psqlODBC code at
    ftp://postgresql.org/pub/patches/psqlodbc-025-6.4beta.tar.gz
    ... I'm afraid the above name might
    "scare" off people who think that it is only for PostgreSQL v6.4.
    If its not too much trouble can you just drop the 6.4 (leave in
    beta of course).
    *sigh*

    The only thing I'm certain of is that this code is an exact copy of the
    code currently in the v6.4beta cvs source tree. It isn't
    psqlodbc-025beta since it is out _after_ Byron's v025 official release.
    Don't know what Byron's next release will be called, and don't know for
    certain that this source code will be identical to what Byron would call
    his next beta. We're not quite to that point yet.

    Perhaps there has been enough discussion of this on the lists that there
    won't be confusion for the next couple of weeks, after which v6.4 will
    be released and Byron will probably have a new WIN32-verified zipball.

    In the meantime, to be clear:

    The tarball on the postgres ftp site can be used for a Unix client to
    talk to any existing v6.2, v6.3, and v6.4beta Postgres installation with
    no other files or tarballs required. It's been tested under Linux, and
    might have a prayer for FreeBSD and Solaris. Not certain about other
    clients or about pre-v6.2 servers, but perhaps
    http://www.insightdist.com/ has some mention about the server versions.
    Almost certainly the source code itself says which versions it will play
    with. Other clients _should_ work, they just haven't been tested and the
    installation info may need to be tweaked.

    The zipball on the insightdist ftp site can be used for a WIN32 client
    to access the same set of server versions as above.

    The two "codeballs" will likely be remerged soon.

    - Tom
  • Gerald Gryschuk at Oct 22, 1998 at 2:56 pm

    Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
    I've posted a tarball of the new standalone psqlODBC code at
    ftp://postgresql.org/pub/patches/psqlodbc-025-6.4beta.tar.gz
    ... I'm afraid the above name might
    "scare" off people who think that it is only for PostgreSQL v6.4.
    If its not too much trouble can you just drop the 6.4 (leave in
    beta of course).
    *sigh*
    Sorry Thomas, I know how hard your working, and like you say this
    won't be out there that long before a new version number change
    should clear things up.
    --
    Gerald Gryschuk(ggryschuk@scf.sk.ca)
    Programmer Analyst