I have written a database application using postgres API.

The database I created is for storing the certificates.

Question #1:
What happens to the database if a backup is running while it
is being modified ? Would the restored backup cause nasty
problems? We will probably be operating in an auto-backup environment where
the CertServer can't be shut-down ...

Question #2:
Is there a repository of tools/techniques for postgres that I
should be examining for nifty stuff ?

Question #3:
Has anyone has put an LDAP front-end on
a postgres database?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Nancy

------------------------------

Search Discussions

  • Thomas G. Lockhart at Jun 13, 1997 at 5:53 pm

    nyang@bbn.com wrote:
    Question #1:
    What happens to the database if a backup is running while it
    is being modified ? Would the restored backup cause nasty
    problems? We will probably be operating in an auto-backup environment where
    the CertServer can't be shut-down ...
    I'm not very familiar with this issue wrt Postgres, but since you have
    asked twice and I haven't seen someone who does know give an answer:

    I would imagine that pg_dump locks tables and gives a good snapshot of a
    database, but that a tar backup running asyncronously might result in
    inconsistant files. I'm not aware of other backup tools for Postgres
    (anyone else have comments?). So, the proper backup procedure might be
    to run pg_dump or pg_dumpall and then send the results to tape.
    Question #2:
    Is there a repository of tools/techniques for postgres that I
    should be examining for nifty stuff ?
    Most of the frontend interface tools have been folded into the standard
    distribution, at least for v6.1. I have seen postings from folks with
    some apparently nifty utilities and interfaces (can't recall what they
    were) but they just sent urls and did not send the code to the Postgres
    maintainers. Perhaps the web page has some pointers?

    - Tom

    ------------------------------
  • Marc G. Fournier at Jun 13, 1997 at 6:11 pm

    Is there a repository of tools/techniques for postgres that I
    should be examining for nifty stuff ?
    Most of the frontend interface tools have been folded into the standard
    distribution, at least for v6.1. I have seen postings from folks with
    some apparently nifty utilities and interfaces (can't recall what they
    were) but they just sent urls and did not send the code to the Postgres
    maintainers. Perhaps the web page has some pointers?

    There is a third party software section of the Web site that relies on the
    various maintainers/developers to add in their tools and software, if they
    so desire...

    It is the only 'central repository' of information that is currently available,
    but nobody seems to use it :(

    Marc G. Fournier scrappy@hub.org
    Systems Administrator @ hub.org scrappy@freebsd.org

grouppgsql-hackers @