On Sat, 3 May 1997, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

Is v6.1 stable yet? The 6.1 directory seems like to contain developer
snapshots...
I think v6.1alpha/beta broke a few days ago trying to clean things up for
the upcoming production release. Hopefully, we will be back on track in
a few more days.

We have not drawn a strong distinction between "developer snapshots",
"alpha releases", and "beta releases". Using the usual conventions,
we are at the tail end of alpha release (since there were daily changes
which affected functionality and content) and are trying to clean up
for beta (distribute to interested users who can tolerate unexpected
rough edges in exchange for influencing fixes for production).
The current plan as I understand it is to have a very short beta phase
(hopefully soon) which is consistant with past release practices.
Actually...we are in BETA, since there should be no *functional*
changes to the server, only bug fixes.

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org
primary: scrappy@hub.org secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org