Hi Hackers,

I've tried to compile Postgres 6.0 on an IBM RS6000 with GCC 2.7.2 and AIX
4.1.4 and got an unresolved ref. error. The reason ist that it uses a lib
called lidld which is not part of AIX. In the port specific directory I
found code to create this lib, but only the description to create it with
the AIX compiler.

The main reason why I would like to build Postgres with GNU C is, that
from AIX Version 4, IBM does NOT ship a compiler with the OS (one more
company, which thinks, that a *IX user should pay for a compiler :-().

Q: Could any one help to build this lib (or build Postgres without it -
this would be more problem, I think)?

Q: Is there a plan to use GCC for Postgres under AIX? I don't have much
time, but I would spend some time for an GNU C Port and test it.

Thanks in advance,
Gerhard

+---------------------- T.B.Reithofer ---------------+-----------+
Gerhard Reithofer Technical Sofware Developement | Developer |
Registered Autodesk Developer | A N D |
Mechanical Design & Construction | Poweruser |
+-----------------------+---------------------+------------------+
/ Email tbr_laa@aon.at / Phone +43-2522/8726 / PAN 912516323 /
/ Mobile +43-663/089747 / Fax +43-2522/87268 / Austria /
+-----------------------+---------------------+------------------+

------------------------------

Search Discussions

  • The Hermit Hacker at Apr 8, 1997 at 8:02 am

    I've tried to compile Postgres 6.0 on an IBM RS6000 with GCC 2.7.2 and AIX
    4.1.4 and got an unresolved ref. error. The reason ist that it uses a lib
    called lidld which is not part of AIX. In the port specific directory I
    found code to create this lib, but only the description to create it with
    the AIX compiler.

    The main reason why I would like to build Postgres with GNU C is, that
    from AIX Version 4, IBM does NOT ship a compiler with the OS (one more
    company, which thinks, that a *IX user should pay for a compiler :-().

    Q: Could any one help to build this lib (or build Postgres without it -
    this would be more problem, I think)?

    Q: Is there a plan to use GCC for Postgres under AIX? I don't have much
    time, but I would spend some time for an GNU C Port and test it.
    Best bet is to first grab the more recent v6.1 release and
    look at the OS specific template files under the template directory. Copy
    over the aix one, to aix-gcc, and work from that (and submit the template
    for inclusion)

    Marc G. Fournier
    Systems Administrator @ hub.org
    primary: scrappy@hub.org secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org