I encountered the following assertion failure when I executed
an immediate shutdown.

LOG: received immediate shutdown request
WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back
the current transaction and exit, because another server process
exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT: In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
repeat your command.
TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(CheckpointerPID == 0)", File: "postmaster.c",
Line: 3440)

The cause of this problem seems to be that PostmasterStateMachine()
may fail to wait for the checkpointer to exit. Attached patch fixes this.

Fujii Masao

Search Discussions

  • Robert Haas at Aug 2, 2013 at 12:21 pm

    I encountered the following assertion failure when I executed
    an immediate shutdown.

    LOG: received immediate shutdown request
    WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
    DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back
    the current transaction and exit, because another server process
    exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
    HINT: In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
    repeat your command.
    TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(CheckpointerPID == 0)", File: "postmaster.c",
    Line: 3440)

    The cause of this problem seems to be that PostmasterStateMachine()
    may fail to wait for the checkpointer to exit. Attached patch fixes this.
    What commit broke this?

    --
    Robert Haas
    The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

    Robert Haas escribió:
    I encountered the following assertion failure when I executed
    an immediate shutdown.

    LOG: received immediate shutdown request
    WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
    DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back
    the current transaction and exit, because another server process
    exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
    HINT: In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
    repeat your command.
    TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(CheckpointerPID == 0)", File: "postmaster.c",
    Line: 3440)

    The cause of this problem seems to be that PostmasterStateMachine()
    may fail to wait for the checkpointer to exit. Attached patch fixes this.
    What commit broke this?
    The one that introduced SIGKILL in immediate-mode stop.

  • Fujii Masao at Aug 7, 2013 at 5:51 pm

    I encountered the following assertion failure when I executed
    an immediate shutdown.

    LOG: received immediate shutdown request
    WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
    DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back
    the current transaction and exit, because another server process
    exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
    HINT: In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
    repeat your command.
    TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(CheckpointerPID == 0)", File: "postmaster.c",
    Line: 3440)

    The cause of this problem seems to be that PostmasterStateMachine()
    may fail to wait for the checkpointer to exit. Attached patch fixes this.
    Committed.

    Fujii Masao
  • Alvaro Herrera at Aug 7, 2013 at 5:57 pm

    Fujii Masao escribió:
    TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(CheckpointerPID == 0)", File: "postmaster.c",
    Line: 3440)

    The cause of this problem seems to be that PostmasterStateMachine()
    may fail to wait for the checkpointer to exit. Attached patch fixes this.
    Committed.
    Thanks.

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql