whenever pg calls my input function, the type modifier parameter is
ALWAYS (-1). If I specify a type modifier like

SELECT 'Hello World!'::my_string_type(MODIFIER1,MODIFIER2);

then pg:
1. calls the my_string_type-typmod_in function, and gets the correct result
2. calls the my_string_type-input function with type modifier parameter (-1)
3. calls the CAST(my_string_type AS my_string_type) function with the
correct type modifier returned by the typmod_in function and the
my_string_type pointer returned by the input function.

How can I convince pg to call the input function with the correct type
modifier?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Michael

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Jul 13, 2012 at 5:50 pm

    Michael Schneider writes:
    whenever pg calls my input function, the type modifier parameter is
    ALWAYS (-1).
    How can I convince pg to call the input function with the correct type
    modifier?
    You can't. Per the comment in coerce_type:

    * For most types we pass typmod -1 to the input routine, because
    * existing input routines follow implicit-coercion semantics for
    * length checks, which is not always what we want here. Any length
    * constraint will be applied later by our caller. An exception
    * however is the INTERVAL type, for which we *must* pass the typmod
    * or it won't be able to obey the bizarre SQL-spec input rules. (Ugly
    * as sin, but so is this part of the spec...)

    If the SQL standard didn't have such bizarrely inconsistent rules for
    the results of implicit vs explicit coercions to char(n) and varchar(n),
    we'd have more flexibility here.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedJul 13, '12 at 4:07p
activeJul 13, '12 at 5:50p
websitepostgresql.org...
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Tom Lane: 1 post Michael Schneider: 1 post