All,

I have a large PG 9.1.1 server (over 1TB of data) and replica using log shipping. I had some hardware issues on the replica system and now I am getting the following in my pg_log/* files. Same 2 lines over and over since yesterday.

2011-12-01 07:46:30 EST >LOG: restored log file "000000010000028E000000E5" from archive
2011-12-01 07:46:30 EST >LOG: incorrect resource manager data checksum in record at 28E/E555E1B8

Anything I can do on the replica or do I have to start over?

Finally, I know this is not the correct list, I tried general with no answer.

Thanks
Jim

Jim Buttafuoco
jim@contacttelecom.com
603-647-7170 ext. 2222- Office
603-490-3409 - Cell
jimbuttafuoco - Skype

Search Discussions

  • Robert Haas at Dec 1, 2011 at 7:00 pm

    2011-12-01 07:46:30 EST  >LOG:  restored log file "000000010000028E000000E5" from archive
    2011-12-01 07:46:30 EST  >LOG:  incorrect resource manager data checksum in record at 28E/E555E1B8

    Anything I can do on the replica or do I have to start over?
    I think you want to rebuild the standby. Even if you could repair the
    damaged WAL record, how can you have any confidence that there is no
    other corruption?

    Note that rsync has some options to only copy the changed data, which
    might greatly accelerated resyncing the standby from the master.

    --
    Robert Haas
    The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

    Jim Buttafuoco writes:

    All,

    I have a large PG 9.1.1 server (over 1TB of data) and replica using log shipping. I had some hardware issues on the
    replica system and now I am getting the following in my pg_log/* files. Same 2 lines over and over since yesterday.

    2011-12-01 07:46:30 EST >LOG: restored log file "000000010000028E000000E5" from archive
    2011-12-01 07:46:30 EST >LOG: incorrect resource manager data checksum in record at 28E/E555E1B8

    Anything I can do on the replica or do I have to start over?
    INspect that WAL segment or possibly the one immediatly following it
    in comparison to another copy if you still have it on the master or a
    central WAL repository.

    A standby crashing meanwhile copying in a WAL segment and/or synching
    one to disk could result in ramdon corruption.

    If you have another copy of the segment and does not compare equal to
    the one your standby is trying to read, try another copy.
    Finally, I know this is not the correct list, I tried general with no answer.
    The admin list is the right one for such a post probably.

    HTH
    Thanks
    Jim

    [cid]

    Jim Buttafuoco
    jim@contacttelecom.com
    603-647-7170 ext. 2222- Office
    603-490-3409 - Cell
    jimbuttafuoco - Skype
    --
    Jerry Sievers
    Postgres DBA/Development Consulting

[...]

  • Simon Riggs at Dec 1, 2011 at 9:08 pm

    the WAL file on the master is long gone, how would one inspect the web
    segment? Any way to have PG "move" on?
    Regenerate the master.

    --
    Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
  • Simon Riggs at Dec 1, 2011 at 9:09 pm

    the WAL file on the master is long gone, how would one inspect the web
    segment?  Any way to have PG "move" on?

    Regenerate the master.
    typo: regenerate *from* the master

  • Jim Buttafuoco at Dec 1, 2011 at 9:11 pm
    Simon,

    What do you mean, start over with a base backup?

    Jim