Tom Lane wrote:
Add temp_file_limit GUC parameter to constrain temporary file space usage.

The limit is enforced against the total amount of temp file space used by
each session.

Mark Kirkwood, reviewed by C?dric Villemain and Tatsuo Ishii
Should we document that sessions that exceed this limit generate an
error? I don't see any mention of this in the docs.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

  • Tom Lane at Jul 17, 2011 at 9:10 pm

    Bruce Momjian writes:
    Tom Lane wrote:
    Add temp_file_limit GUC parameter to constrain temporary file space usage.

    The limit is enforced against the total amount of temp file space used by
    each session.

    Mark Kirkwood, reviewed by C?dric Villemain and Tatsuo Ishii
    Should we document that sessions that exceed this limit generate an
    error? I don't see any mention of this in the docs.
    Huh? Seems like a waste of text to me. What else would happen?

    regards, tom lane
  • Bruce Momjian at Jul 17, 2011 at 10:39 pm

    Tom Lane wrote:
    Tom Lane wrote:
    Add temp_file_limit GUC parameter to constrain temporary file space usage.

    The limit is enforced against the total amount of temp file space used by
    each session.

    Mark Kirkwood, reviewed by C?dric Villemain and Tatsuo Ishii
    Should we document that sessions that exceed this limit generate an
    error? I don't see any mention of this in the docs.
    Huh? Seems like a waste of text to me. What else would happen?
    Well, if we exceed work_mem, we spill to temp disk. If we exceed temp
    disk, we error out. Those different behaviors don't seem obvious to me.
    The work_mem docs do mention is spills to disk though, so maybe it is
    OK.

    EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

  • Peter Eisentraut at Jul 18, 2011 at 10:53 am

    Add temp_file_limit GUC parameter to constrain temporary file space usage.

    The limit is enforced against the total amount of temp file space used by
    each session.

    Mark Kirkwood, reviewed by C?dric Villemain and Tatsuo Ishii
    Should we document that sessions that exceed this limit generate an
    error? I don't see any mention of this in the docs.
    Huh? Seems like a waste of text to me. What else would happen?
    Well, if we exceed work_mem, we spill to temp disk. If we exceed temp
    disk, we error out. Those different behaviors don't seem obvious to me.
    The work_mem docs do mention is spills to disk though, so maybe it is
    OK.
    Sounds like it would be good to document the behavior if the limit is
    exceeded in each case.
  • Tom Lane at Jul 18, 2011 at 2:36 pm

    Bruce Momjian writes:
    Tom Lane wrote:
    Huh? Seems like a waste of text to me. What else would happen?
    Well, if we exceed work_mem, we spill to temp disk. If we exceed temp
    disk, we error out. Those different behaviors don't seem obvious to me.
    [ shrug... ] Feel free to change it.

    regards, tom lane
  • Mark Kirkwood at Jul 18, 2011 at 10:29 pm

    Huh? Seems like a waste of text to me. What else would happen?
    Well, if we exceed work_mem, we spill to temp disk. If we exceed temp
    disk, we error out. Those different behaviors don't seem obvious to me.
    [ shrug... ] Feel free to change it.
    No objections from me - can't see any harm in making it very clear what
    happens when the limit is exceeded :-)
  • Bruce Momjian at Aug 3, 2012 at 7:16 pm

    Huh? Seems like a waste of text to me. What else would happen?
    Well, if we exceed work_mem, we spill to temp disk. If we exceed temp
    disk, we error out. Those different behaviors don't seem obvious to me.
    [ shrug... ] Feel free to change it.
    No objections from me - can't see any harm in making it very clear
    what happens when the limit is exceeded :-)
    Documentation patch attached and applied, and backpatched to 9.2.

    EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedJul 17, '11 at 9:09p