Hi folks

I've noticed while testing the VC 2010 patches that clean.pl in
src/tools/msvc doesn't remove files generated by flex. I landed up with
a broken configuration while testing my x64 builds that caused the
creation of zero-size outputs for bootscanner.c etc. These weren't
re-generated on re-build even after a clean, and because they're in
.gitignore they aren't flagged as dirty in the tree either. Because an
empty file is a valid C compilation unit, everything proceeded merrily
until linkage failed.

Should clean.pl be removing such files? Or, since they're probably
included in release source tarballs, would a separate "gitclean.pl" be
required?

--
Craig Ringer

Search Discussions

  • Magnus Hagander at Jul 2, 2011 at 3:54 pm

    I've noticed while testing the VC 2010 patches that clean.pl in
    src/tools/msvc doesn't remove files generated by flex. I landed up with a
    broken configuration while testing my x64 builds that caused the creation of
    zero-size outputs for bootscanner.c etc. These weren't re-generated on
    re-build even after a clean, and because they're in .gitignore they aren't
    flagged as dirty in the tree either. Because an empty file is a valid C
    compilation unit, everything proceeded merrily until linkage failed.

    Should clean.pl be removing such files? Or, since they're probably included
    in release source tarballs, would a separate "gitclean.pl" be required?
    clean.pl? I don't even have that file, I only have clean.bat...

    And if you're talking about that one, have you tried "clean dist"
    which is what should correspond to make distclean, and remove those
    files?
  • Tom Lane at Jul 2, 2011 at 4:03 pm

    Magnus Hagander writes:
    I've noticed while testing the VC 2010 patches that clean.pl in
    src/tools/msvc doesn't remove files generated by flex.
    clean.pl? I don't even have that file, I only have clean.bat...
    And if you're talking about that one, have you tried "clean dist"
    which is what should correspond to make distclean, and remove those
    files?
    Huh? "make distclean" *doesn't* remove such files --- if it did,
    they'd not get into the tarballs. What Craig needs is the equivalent of
    "make maintainer-clean". Right offhand it looks like clean.bat is
    a bit confused as to which of those behaviors it's implementing.

    regards, tom lane
  • Craig Ringer at Jul 3, 2011 at 1:43 am

[...]

    Gah. Reading the file before posting would've been a good idea - sorry.

    --
    Craig Ringer

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql