Another set of new gcc 4.6 warnings:

readfuncs.c: In function ‘_readCaseWhen’:
readfuncs.c:875:567: warning: variable ‘token’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
readfuncs.c: In function ‘_readFromExpr’:
readfuncs.c:1159:568: warning: variable ‘token’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]

read.c: In function ‘nodeTokenType’:
read.c:222:8: warning: variable ‘val’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]

I couldn't see a way good way of programming around this (perhaps in the
second case, but it would get uselessly ugly), so perhaps just marking
the variables as potentially unused would be appropriate? See patch.

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Jun 15, 2011 at 11:29 pm

    Peter Eisentraut writes:
    I couldn't see a way good way of programming around this (perhaps in the
    second case, but it would get uselessly ugly), so perhaps just marking
    the variables as potentially unused would be appropriate? See patch.
    Of course this would break not only on non-gcc compilers, but old
    versions of gcc. I'd suggest a macro (cf PERL_UNUSED_DECL) and some
    version checks at the site of the macro declaration (perhaps the ones
    emitted by bison for its use of this construct will do).

    regards, tom lane
  • Peter Eisentraut at Jun 16, 2011 at 8:50 pm

    I couldn't see a way good way of programming around this (perhaps in the
    second case, but it would get uselessly ugly), so perhaps just marking
    the variables as potentially unused would be appropriate? See patch.
    Of course this would break not only on non-gcc compilers, but old
    versions of gcc. I'd suggest a macro (cf PERL_UNUSED_DECL) and some
    version checks at the site of the macro declaration (perhaps the ones
    emitted by bison for its use of this construct will do).
    Non-GCC compilers would be fine, because we define away __attribute__
    there anyway, but on GCC itself, you're right, the "unused" attribute is
    a bit more recent than ancient.

    Actually, casting to void, which is the convention we already use
    elsewhere, works for this, so done that way.

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedJun 15, '11 at 8:23p
activeJun 16, '11 at 8:50p
websitepostgresql.org...
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Peter Eisentraut: 2 posts Tom Lane: 1 post