FAQ
Could somebody explain me on which methods is based ts_rank and how it works?
I would appreciate some articles, if exist.
Thanks a lot for reply.
Mark

--
View this message in context: http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/ts-rank-tp4384120p4384120.html
Sent from the PostgreSQL - hackers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Search Discussions

  • Robert Haas at May 19, 2011 at 3:52 pm

    On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Mark wrote:
    Could somebody explain me on which methods is based ts_rank and how it works?
    I would appreciate some articles, if exist.
    Thanks a lot for reply.
    As far as I can tell, our documentation contains no useful information
    on this topic whatsoever. :-(

    --
    Robert Haas
    EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
    The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
  • Kevin Grittner at May 20, 2011 at 2:42 am

    Robert Haas wrote:
    Mark wrote:
    Could somebody explain me on which methods is based ts_rank and
    how it works? I would appreciate some articles, if exist.
    As far as I can tell, our documentation contains no useful
    information on this topic whatsoever. :-(
    There's some potentially useful information here:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/textsearch-controls.html#TEXTSEARCH-RANKING

    Although I don't know if it addresses Mark's question very well.
    Personally, I wonder how relevant ts_rank will be after knn-giswt
    is out....

    -Kevin
  • Robert Haas at May 20, 2011 at 3:27 pm

    On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 10:42 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
    Robert Haas  wrote:
    Mark  wrote:
    Could somebody explain me on which methods is based ts_rank and
    how it works?  I would appreciate some articles, if exist.
    As far as I can tell, our documentation contains no useful
    information on this topic whatsoever. :-(
    There's some potentially useful information here:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/textsearch-controls.html#TEXTSEARCH-RANKING
    Ah, yes. I didn't read that carefully enough. That is useful, but it
    doesn't really explain how it works.
    Although I don't know if it addresses Mark's question very well.
    Personally, I wonder how relevant ts_rank will be after knn-giswt
    is out....
    I don't see why it would be any less useful... though if someone could
    find a way to KNN-ify such searches, I'm sure there would be a lot of
    very happy users. Seems pretty difficult, though.

    --
    Robert Haas
    EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
    The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
  • Mark at May 21, 2011 at 11:41 am

    Thanks for reply. I was reading the documentation of PostgreSQL, but there
    it is not written the name of the used methods. Everywhere there is written,
    that ts_rank use standard ranking function. But it is difficult to say which
    is the standard function.
    Somewhere I found that it is maybe based on Vector space model and it seems
    to be truth, because in the code of tsrank.c is counted the frequency of
    words, but I am not sure of that :-(



    --
    View this message in context: http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/ts-rank-tp4384614p4414631.html
    Sent from the PostgreSQL - hackers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
  • Bruce Momjian at Sep 11, 2011 at 2:18 am

    Mark wrote:
    There's some potentially useful information here:
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/textsearch-controls.html#TEXTSEARCH-RANKING
    Thanks for reply. I was reading the documentation of PostgreSQL, but there
    it is not written the name of the used methods. Everywhere there is written,
    that ts_rank use standard ranking function. But it is difficult to say which
    is the standard function.
    Somewhere I found that it is maybe based on Vector space model and it seems
    to be truth, because in the code of tsrank.c is counted the frequency of
    words, but I am not sure of that :-(
    Oleg, Teodor, can you give me a description of how ts_rank decided how
    to rank items? Thanks.

    --
    Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> http://momjian.us
    EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

    + It's impossible for everything to be true. +
  • Bruce Momjian at Oct 12, 2011 at 9:31 pm

    Bruce Momjian wrote:
    Mark wrote:
    Thanks for reply. I was reading the documentation of PostgreSQL, but there
    it is not written the name of the used methods. Everywhere there is written,
    that ts_rank use standard ranking function. But it is difficult to say which
    is the standard function.
    Somewhere I found that it is maybe based on Vector space model and it seems
    to be truth, because in the code of tsrank.c is counted the frequency of
    words, but I am not sure of that :-(
    Oleg, Teodor, can you give me a description of how ts_rank decided how
    to rank items? Thanks.
    Any news on this question?

    --
    Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> http://momjian.us
    EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

    + It's impossible for everything to be true. +
  • Oleg Bartunov at Oct 13, 2011 at 11:23 am
    I'm sorry, my plane to Nepal is waiting me :) I'll be back in the
    midst of November. In short, ts_rank is based only on frequencies of lexems
    and doesn't count distance between query lexems. Also, it supports only
    primitive queries.

    Oleg
    On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, Bruce Momjian wrote:

    Bruce Momjian wrote:
    Mark wrote:
    Thanks for reply. I was reading the documentation of PostgreSQL, but there
    it is not written the name of the used methods. Everywhere there is written,
    that ts_rank use standard ranking function. But it is difficult to say which
    is the standard function.
    Somewhere I found that it is maybe based on Vector space model and it seems
    to be truth, because in the code of tsrank.c is counted the frequency of
    words, but I am not sure of that :-(
    Oleg, Teodor, can you give me a description of how ts_rank decided how
    to rank items? Thanks.
    Any news on this question?
    Regards,
    Oleg
    _____________________________________________________________
    Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
    Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
    Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
    phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83
  • Bruce Momjian at Oct 13, 2011 at 6:18 pm

    Oleg Bartunov wrote:
    I'm sorry, my plane to Nepal is waiting me :) I'll be back in the
    midst of November. In short, ts_rank is based only on frequencies of lexems
    and doesn't count distance between query lexems. Also, it supports only
    primitive queries.
    Thanks. Attached doc patch applied to head and 9.1.X.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Oleg
    On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, Bruce Momjian wrote:

    Bruce Momjian wrote:
    Mark wrote:
    Thanks for reply. I was reading the documentation of PostgreSQL, but there
    it is not written the name of the used methods. Everywhere there is written,
    that ts_rank use standard ranking function. But it is difficult to say which
    is the standard function.
    Somewhere I found that it is maybe based on Vector space model and it seems
    to be truth, because in the code of tsrank.c is counted the frequency of
    words, but I am not sure of that :-(
    Oleg, Teodor, can you give me a description of how ts_rank decided how
    to rank items? Thanks.
    Any news on this question?
    Regards,
    Oleg
    _____________________________________________________________
    Oleg Bartunov, Research Scientist, Head of AstroNet (www.astronet.ru),
    Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University, Russia
    Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
    phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83
    --
    Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> http://momjian.us
    EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

    + It's impossible for everything to be true. +

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedMay 10, '11 at 10:21a
activeOct 13, '11 at 6:18p
posts9
users5
websitepostgresql.org...
irc#postgresql

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2021 Grokbase