First, I want to apologize if this is a topic for one of the other mailing lists (or completely inappropriate for PostgreSQL mailing lists), but I looked them over, and this one seemed most appropriate.

I am working on a project based on TelegraphCQ 2.1 Data Stream Management System which is in turn based on PostgreSQL 7.3.2. I've decided to use Eclipse. I have managed to import source into Eclipse and to run it, using instructions given here: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Eclipse.

However, where I compile and run the project, in the Eclipse console I get:

POSTGRES backend interactive interface

$Revision: 1.115 $ $Date: 2006/02/06 01:19:46 $

I don't know what to do with this backend interface. I would like to get a postmaster running and to connect to a data base with psql. However, when i try to start psql, it says that there is no postmaster running.

Can someone please give me a hand,

K.K.

Search Discussions

  • Christopher Browne at May 6, 2011 at 4:56 pm

    I don't know what to do with this backend interface. I would like to get a
    postmaster running and to connect to a data base with psql. However, when i
    try to start psql, it says that there is no postmaster running.
    I would not assume that it is handled the same way as with PostgreSQL,
    as it's a "fork" that has quite distinct implementation and behaviour.

    Does the TelegraphCQ documentation not include some documentation as
    to how to start up the backend?

    Answering that, it surely does:
    http://telegraph.cs.berkeley.edu/telegraphcq/v0.2/gettingstarted.html
  • Greg Smith at May 6, 2011 at 6:32 pm

    Krešimir Križanović wrote:

    However, where I compile and run the project, in the Eclipse console I
    get:

    POSTGRES backend interactive interface

    $Revision: 1.115 $ $Date: 2006/02/06 01:19:46 $

    I don’t know what to do with this backend interface. I would like to
    get a postmaster running and to connect to a data base with psql.
    However, when i try to start psql, it says that there is no postmaster
    running.
    An example of a session with that interface is at
    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2000-01/msg01471.php ; you
    may find it useful at some point.

    Your problem is caused by a change made to PostgreSQL's naming
    convention made after the 7.3 fork you're using. In earlier versions,
    "postgres" meant start the server in single user mode:
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/app-postgres.html

    While "postmaster" started it as a proper server:
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/app-postmaster.html

    In modern versions, they are the same thing. The Eclipse example uses
    "postgres", which starts the regular server now, but in 7.3 only started
    single user mode. Change where you run the program to use "postmaster"
    instead and it should work more like what you're expecting.

    Doing something useful with the TelegraphCQ code is probably going to
    take you a while.

    --
    Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US greg@2ndQuadrant.com Baltimore, MD
  • Krešimir Križanović at May 6, 2011 at 9:27 pm

    Do you maybe have an idea how to make that link, or how to start postgres as a daemon?

    Sorry for the bother, again.

    Concerning TelegraphCQ, my aim is to add geospatial capabilities, to actually merge it with PostGIS. Its a part of my PhD Thesis.

    Thanks,
    K.K.

[...]

  • Josh Berkus at May 6, 2011 at 11:08 pm
    Kresimir,
    Concerning TelegraphCQ, my aim is to add geospatial capabilities, to actually merge it with PostGIS. Its a part of my PhD Thesis.
    Hmmm. Given that the TCQ code was never production quality in the first
    place (i.e. crashed every 60 minutes), this seems like kind of a futile
    task. Especially since nothing you develop against 7.3 is going to be
    accepted into either PostgreSQL or PostGIS.

    Seems like updating the TCQ code would be more useful. Although not as
    exciting. Too bad Truviso is closed source.

    --
    Josh Berkus
    PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

grouppgsql-hackers @