Peter Eisentraut writes:
Rename pg_regress option --multibyte to --encoding
Also refactor things a little bit so that the same methods for setting
test locale and encoding can be used everywhere.
The buildfarm shows that this patch fails on Windows --- the
contrib/unaccent regression test is getting run in SQL_ASCII encoding
rather than the UTF8 encoding it's supposed to have. It looks like
the reason is that fetchRegressOpts in vcregress.pl is only looking
for REGRESS_OPTS in the Makefile, and what you've done requires it
to have a great deal more knowledge than that. I'm not sure what the
least painful fix is, but maybe we should reconsider the idea of not
using REGRESS_OPTS there.

regards, tom lane

Search Discussions

  • Andrew Dunstan at Apr 15, 2011 at 4:29 pm

    Rename pg_regress option --multibyte to --encoding
    Also refactor things a little bit so that the same methods for setting
    test locale and encoding can be used everywhere.
    The buildfarm shows that this patch fails on Windows --- the
    contrib/unaccent regression test is getting run in SQL_ASCII encoding
    rather than the UTF8 encoding it's supposed to have. It looks like
    the reason is that fetchRegressOpts in vcregress.pl is only looking
    for REGRESS_OPTS in the Makefile, and what you've done requires it
    to have a great deal more knowledge than that. I'm not sure what the
    least painful fix is, but maybe we should reconsider the idea of not
    using REGRESS_OPTS there.
    Yeah, what is the point of this?:

    -# Adjust REGRESS_OPTS because we need a UTF8 database
    -REGRESS_OPTS = --dbname=$(CONTRIB_TESTDB) --multibyte=UTF8 --no-locale
    +# We need a UTF8 database +ENCODING = UTF8 +NO_LOCALE = 1

    Wouldn't it have worked just to change the way we spelled the option
    name in the REGRESS_OPTS line?

    cheers

    andrew
  • Peter Eisentraut at Apr 15, 2011 at 8:36 pm

    -# Adjust REGRESS_OPTS because we need a UTF8 database
    -REGRESS_OPTS = --dbname=$(CONTRIB_TESTDB) --multibyte=UTF8 --no-locale
    +# We need a UTF8 database +ENCODING = UTF8 +NO_LOCALE = 1

    Wouldn't it have worked just to change the way we spelled the option
    name in the REGRESS_OPTS line?
    It would have, but this way you have the same uniform interface
    everywhere. For example, you can easily override the encoding that that
    test prescribes.
  • Andrew Dunstan at Apr 16, 2011 at 7:07 pm

    -# Adjust REGRESS_OPTS because we need a UTF8 database
    -REGRESS_OPTS = --dbname=$(CONTRIB_TESTDB) --multibyte=UTF8 --no-locale
    +# We need a UTF8 database +ENCODING = UTF8 +NO_LOCALE = 1

    Wouldn't it have worked just to change the way we spelled the option
    name in the REGRESS_OPTS line?
    It would have, but this way you have the same uniform interface
    everywhere. For example, you can easily override the encoding that that
    test prescribes.

    Well whatever we do, the buildfarm is currently broken for all MSVC
    builds because of this change, so I hope you're intending to fix this.

    cheers

    andrew
  • Peter Eisentraut at Apr 19, 2011 at 8:00 pm

    -# Adjust REGRESS_OPTS because we need a UTF8 database
    -REGRESS_OPTS = --dbname=$(CONTRIB_TESTDB) --multibyte=UTF8 --no-locale
    +# We need a UTF8 database +ENCODING = UTF8 +NO_LOCALE = 1

    Wouldn't it have worked just to change the way we spelled the option
    name in the REGRESS_OPTS line?
    It would have, but this way you have the same uniform interface
    everywhere. For example, you can easily override the encoding that that
    test prescribes.
    Well whatever we do, the buildfarm is currently broken for all MSVC
    builds because of this change, so I hope you're intending to fix this.
    I was able to fix this properly now after figuring out that you can
    actually run vcregress.pl on Linux. So it should be easier to deal with
    these sorts of issues in the future.

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedApr 15, '11 at 3:18p