I've run into a small infelicity that was introduced by our recent round
of redesign of the extensions feature. Specifically, if we have an
installation script that is named like hstore-1.0.sql.in, then what
pgxs.mk will substitute for MODULE_PATHNAME in it is
"$libdir/hstore-1.0" ... not exactly what's wanted. This is because the
transformation rule depends on $*, ie the base name of the input file.

There are a number of things we could do about this, each with some
upsides and downsides:

1. Forget about using MODULE_PATHNAME, and just start hardwiring
"$libdir/shlib-name" into install scripts. A small upside is we'd not
need the .sql.in-to-.sql build step anymore. The downside is that it's
kind of nice that the sql scripts don't need to know the shlib name ---
that certainly simplifies copying-and-pasting example functions.

2. Change the pgxs.mk rule to use $(MODULE_big)$(MODULES) instead of $*
(as I suspect it originally did, given the conditional around it).
This would work for makefiles that use $(MODULE_big) or use $(MODULES)
to build just a single shlib. In those that build multiple shlibs
(currently only contrib/spi), we'd still have to fall back to hardwiring
"$libdir/shlib-name" into the install scripts. Upside: works without
changes in simple cases. Downside: breaks for multiple output modules,
and ugly as sin anyway.

3. Change the pgxs.mk rule to strip $* down to whatever's before the
first dash. The downside of this is that we'd have to restrict
extensions to not have names including dash, a restriction not being
made presently. On the other hand, we may well have to enforce such a
restriction anyway in order to get pg_available_extensions to make sense
of the directory contents. Another point is that changing the rule
would potentially break old-style non-extension modules that use dashes
in their names. We could work around that by making the rule behavior
conditional on whether EXTENSION is defined, which is kinda ugly but
probably worth doing for backwards compatibility's sake.

On balance #3 seems the least bad, but I wonder if anyone sees this
choice differently or has another solution that I didn't think of.

regards, tom lane

Search Discussions

  • Dimitri Fontaine at Feb 12, 2011 at 5:34 pm

    Tom Lane writes:
    pgxs.mk will substitute for MODULE_PATHNAME in it is
    "$libdir/hstore-1.0" ... not exactly what's wanted. This is because the
    transformation rule depends on $*, ie the base name of the input file. [...]
    On balance #3 seems the least bad, but I wonder if anyone sees this
    choice differently or has another solution that I didn't think of.
    A though that is occurring to me here would be to add a shlib property
    in the control file and have the SQL script use $libdir/$shlib, or even
    $shlib maybe. That would only work for extensions scripts, and even
    only for those containing a single .so.

    But the only counter example I know of is PGQ, and its install script is
    ran by its command line tools. So PGQ would now ship 2 or 3 extensions
    with some dependencies, each with its own .so. Seems cleaner for me
    anyway.

    Dimitri Fontaine
  • Tom Lane at Feb 12, 2011 at 9:56 pm

    Dimitri Fontaine writes:
    Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
    pgxs.mk will substitute for MODULE_PATHNAME in it is
    "$libdir/hstore-1.0" ... not exactly what's wanted. This is because the
    transformation rule depends on $*, ie the base name of the input file.
    A though that is occurring to me here would be to add a shlib property
    in the control file and have the SQL script use $libdir/$shlib, or even
    $shlib maybe. That would only work for extensions scripts, and even
    only for those containing a single .so.
    Right, the basic difficulty here is exactly that in a Makefile that's
    building multiple shlibs, there is no easy way to decide which shlibs go
    with which sql scripts. The existing implementation essentially relies
    on the base name of the sql script matching the base name of the shlib.
    Adding a single-valued shlib property wouldn't improve matters at all.

    regards, tom lane
  • Dimitri Fontaine at Feb 12, 2011 at 10:14 pm

    Tom Lane writes:
    Right, the basic difficulty here is exactly that in a Makefile that's
    building multiple shlibs, there is no easy way to decide which shlibs go
    with which sql scripts. The existing implementation essentially relies
    on the base name of the sql script matching the base name of the shlib.
    Adding a single-valued shlib property wouldn't improve matters at all.
    My take here is to way that in this case, the current (9.1) way to deal
    with the situation is to have multiple extensions when you have multiple
    shlibs. After all we know that multiple extensions from the same
    Makefile works, thanks to contrib/spi (I mean extension/spi).

    And we even have inter-extensions dependencies in 9.1, so that's
    friendly enough I think.

    Dimitri Fontaine
  • Tom Lane at Feb 12, 2011 at 10:29 pm

    Dimitri Fontaine writes:
    Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
    Right, the basic difficulty here is exactly that in a Makefile that's
    building multiple shlibs, there is no easy way to decide which shlibs go
    with which sql scripts. The existing implementation essentially relies
    on the base name of the sql script matching the base name of the shlib.
    Adding a single-valued shlib property wouldn't improve matters at all.
    My take here is to way that in this case, the current (9.1) way to deal
    with the situation is to have multiple extensions when you have multiple
    shlibs. After all we know that multiple extensions from the same
    Makefile works, thanks to contrib/spi (I mean extension/spi).
    But contrib/spi is exactly the case where it *won't* work. We need to
    somehow figure out that $libdir/autoinc is what to substitute in
    autoinc-1.0.sql, $libdir/insert_username in insert_username-1.0.sql,
    etc.

    Also, I've been looking at the pg_available_extensions issue a bit.
    I don't yet have a proposal for exactly how we ought to redefine it,
    but I did notice that the existing code is terribly confused by
    secondary control files: it doesn't realize that they're not primary
    control files, so you get e.g. hstore and hstore-1.0 as separate
    listings.

    We could possibly work around that by giving secondary control files a
    different extension, but I'm becoming more and more convinced that it's
    just a bad idea to have a file naming rule in which it's ambiguous where
    the extension name stops and the version name starts.

    I did think of another idea besides forbidding dash in extension names:
    what if we use double dash as the name/version separator, ie the naming
    conventions are like
    extension--version.control
    extension--version.sql
    extension--oldversion-newversion.sql
    Then we'd only have to forbid double dash in extension names, which
    seems unlikely to be a problem for anybody. (I think we might also have
    to forbid empty version names to make this bulletproof, but that doesn't
    bother me much either.)

    Comments?

    regards, tom lane
  • David E. Wheeler at Feb 12, 2011 at 11:04 pm

    I did think of another idea besides forbidding dash in extension names:
    what if we use double dash as the name/version separator, ie the naming
    conventions are like
    extension--version.control
    extension--version.sql
    extension--oldversion-newversion.sql
    Then we'd only have to forbid double dash in extension names, which
    seems unlikely to be a problem for anybody. (I think we might also have
    to forbid empty version names to make this bulletproof, but that doesn't
    bother me much either.)
    +1 You might even consider mandating a double-dash between versions, so that they could have dashes:

    extension--oldversion--newversion.sql

    We don't have to worry about the length of the file name, do we?

    Best,

    David
  • Tom Lane at Feb 12, 2011 at 11:12 pm

    "David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
    I did think of another idea besides forbidding dash in extension names:
    what if we use double dash as the name/version separator,
    +1 You might even consider mandating a double-dash between versions, so that they could have dashes:
    extension--oldversion--newversion.sql
    Hm. I think we'd still have to disallow dash as the first or last
    character in a version name to make that unambiguous. Not sure it's
    worth the trouble.

    regards, tom lane
  • David E. Wheeler at Feb 12, 2011 at 11:34 pm

    I did think of another idea besides forbidding dash in extension names:
    what if we use double dash as the name/version separator,
    +1 You might even consider mandating a double-dash between versions, so that they could have dashes:
    extension--oldversion--newversion.sql
    Hm. I think we'd still have to disallow dash as the first or last
    character in a version name to make that unambiguous. Not sure it's
    worth the trouble.
    How likely is *that*?

    David
  • Tom Lane at Feb 12, 2011 at 11:38 pm

    "David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
    Hm. I think we'd still have to disallow dash as the first or last
    character in a version name to make that unambiguous. Not sure it's
    worth the trouble.
    How likely is *that*?
    Not very, but the rules are getting a bit complicated ...

    regards, tom lane
  • David E. Wheeler at Feb 12, 2011 at 11:39 pm

    Not very, but the rules are getting a bit complicated ...
    Doesn't seem complicated to me:

    1. Use -- to separate extension name, old version, new version
    2. Don't use - at the beginning or end of name or version number
    3. Profit

    How hard is that?

    David
  • Dimitri Fontaine at Feb 13, 2011 at 11:05 am

    Tom Lane writes:
    My take here is to way that in this case, the current (9.1) way to deal
    with the situation is to have multiple extensions when you have multiple
    shlibs. After all we know that multiple extensions from the same
    Makefile works, thanks to contrib/spi (I mean extension/spi).
    But contrib/spi is exactly the case where it *won't* work. We need to
    somehow figure out that $libdir/autoinc is what to substitute in
    autoinc-1.0.sql, $libdir/insert_username in insert_username-1.0.sql,
    etc.
    Indeed. That's why I'm proposing to have that setup in the control
    file, which is per extension, rather than in the common Makefile.
    Also, I've been looking at the pg_available_extensions issue a bit.
    I don't yet have a proposal for exactly how we ought to redefine it,
    but I did notice that the existing code is terribly confused by
    secondary control files: it doesn't realize that they're not primary
    control files, so you get e.g. hstore and hstore-1.0 as separate
    listings.
    I'd think that's it's a good idea if dealt with "correctly" because now
    that ALTER EXTENSION UPDATE can deal with more than one target VERSION
    I expect the view to show each available update here.

    If possible adding the "update chain sequence" information as computed
    in the code would be great. Because we can't ask people to figure that
    out all by themselves, the best way to check your upgrading setup is
    fine would be to run SELECT * FROM pg_available_extensions; and read the
    result.
    We could possibly work around that by giving secondary control files a
    different extension, but I'm becoming more and more convinced that it's
    just a bad idea to have a file naming rule in which it's ambiguous where
    the extension name stops and the version name starts. Agreed.
    I did think of another idea besides forbidding dash in extension names:
    what if we use double dash as the name/version separator, ie the naming
    conventions are like
    extension--version.control
    extension--version.sql
    extension--oldversion-newversion.sql
    Yeah, something like that would work, so would maybe using ':' and
    forbidding one-letter extension names, but I'm not in a position to
    check that this won't confuse the windows we support too much. I see
    about no downside to the double dash proposal, that said.
    Then we'd only have to forbid double dash in extension names, which
    seems unlikely to be a problem for anybody. (I think we might also have
    to forbid empty version names to make this bulletproof, but that doesn't
    bother me much either.)
    Those look like sanity checks more than anything else, I'd welcome us
    having them.

    Dimitri Fontaine
  • Tom Lane at Feb 13, 2011 at 4:28 pm

    Dimitri Fontaine writes:
    Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
    But contrib/spi is exactly the case where it *won't* work. We need to
    somehow figure out that $libdir/autoinc is what to substitute in
    autoinc-1.0.sql, $libdir/insert_username in insert_username-1.0.sql,
    etc.
    Indeed. That's why I'm proposing to have that setup in the control
    file, which is per extension, rather than in the common Makefile.
    How's that help? In a makefile building more than one extension,
    you'd still need a way to decide which extension the current script
    file is associated with.

    Or are you suggesting substituting for MODULE_PATHNAME during CREATE
    EXTENSION, and not during "make" at all? That would work I guess.
    I'm hesitant to have any substitutions that happen unconditionally,
    but we could add a control parameter like
    module_pathname = '$libdir/hstore'
    and then things would be pretty clean.

    I think we should still change the file naming conventions to use double
    dashes, though, since there's more than one reason to want that. Will
    work on that next.

    regards, tom lane
  • Dimitri Fontaine at Feb 13, 2011 at 5:40 pm

    Tom Lane writes:
    Or are you suggesting substituting for MODULE_PATHNAME during CREATE
    EXTENSION, and not during "make" at all? That would work I guess.
    That's my idea, sorry not having made it clear enough. We have $libdir
    which is expanded server-side AFAIUI, I though we would have $shlib
    expanded the same way and taken from some backend variable like with
    creating_extension.
    I'm hesitant to have any substitutions that happen unconditionally,
    but we could add a control parameter like
    module_pathname = '$libdir/hstore'
    and then things would be pretty clean.
    Ok. Maybe the simpler would be to make the current control variable a
    static backend variable so that EXT_CONTROL(module_pathname) is easy to
    find out from anywhere (I see you got rid of some direct usage of static
    variables with recordDependencyOnCurrentExtension() already).
    I think we should still change the file naming conventions to use double
    dashes, though, since there's more than one reason to want that. Will
    work on that next.
    Great!

    Dimitri Fontaine
  • Tom Lane at Feb 13, 2011 at 5:56 pm

    Dimitri Fontaine writes:
    Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
    I'm hesitant to have any substitutions that happen unconditionally,
    but we could add a control parameter like
    module_pathname = '$libdir/hstore'
    and then things would be pretty clean.
    Ok. Maybe the simpler would be to make the current control variable a
    static backend variable so that EXT_CONTROL(module_pathname) is easy to
    find out from anywhere (I see you got rid of some direct usage of static
    variables with recordDependencyOnCurrentExtension() already).
    I think it's better to keep it working as a textual substitution.
    That poses the least risk of breaking scripts that work today ---
    who's to say that somebody might not be relying on the substitution
    happening someplace else than CREATE FUNCTION's shlib string?

    regards, tom lane
  • Dimitri Fontaine at Feb 13, 2011 at 6:41 pm

    Tom Lane writes:
    I think it's better to keep it working as a textual substitution.
    That poses the least risk of breaking scripts that work today ---
    who's to say that somebody might not be relying on the substitution
    happening someplace else than CREATE FUNCTION's shlib string?
    Fair enough, I suppose. So +1 from me, FWIW.

    Dimitri Fontaine
  • Tom Lane at Feb 13, 2011 at 7:34 pm

    Dimitri Fontaine writes:
    Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
    I think it's better to keep it working as a textual substitution.
    That poses the least risk of breaking scripts that work today ---
    who's to say that somebody might not be relying on the substitution
    happening someplace else than CREATE FUNCTION's shlib string?
    Fair enough, I suppose. So +1 from me, FWIW.
    OK, so with that, attached is an example of the complete conversion diff
    for a contrib module (hstore in particular). Although "git status"
    reports hstore--1.0.sql as being a rename of hstore.sql.in, "git diff"
    doesn't seem to be exceedingly bright about presenting it that way :-(.
    But actually the change in that script other than renaming is just
    removing the "set search_path" command and adjusting the header comment.

    I've checked that regression tests pass and "create extension hstore
    from unpackaged" successfully upgrades from a 9.0 dump. I don't have
    the ability to check that it works on Windows too, but since we're not
    hacking pgxs.mk I doubt that there's anything to do to the Windows build
    process.

    Barring objections, I'll press on with fixing the rest of them.

    regards, tom lane
  • Dimitri Fontaine at Feb 13, 2011 at 8:40 pm

    Tom Lane writes:
    Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
    I think it's better to keep it working as a textual substitution.
    Thinking about this some more, it has the advantage that the effects of
    the control file settings are kept within the script file processing and
    pg_extension catalog. The only backend impact is the dependency
    tracking.
    OK, so with that, attached is an example of the complete conversion diff
    for a contrib module (hstore in particular). Although "git status"
    I see you're not using the @extschema@ placeholder in the upgrade
    script. It is intentional? It's been common wisdom and practice to
    edit the SQL file of any contrib or third party module to have it
    installed in your preferred schema…
    reports hstore--1.0.sql as being a rename of hstore.sql.in, "git diff"
    doesn't seem to be exceedingly bright about presenting it that way :-(.
    But actually the change in that script other than renaming is just
    removing the "set search_path" command and adjusting the header comment.
    And we don't have to rely on hstore.sql.in file anymore as the change is
    done by the backend side of things. That's a very good point for the
    windows build system I think.
    Barring objections, I'll press on with fixing the rest of them.
    I think you'd be interested into this reworked SQL query. It should be
    providing exactly the script file you need as an upgrade from unpackaged.

    I took the time to finish this query (filter out array types, some
    replacement in operator classes and families descriptions) because I
    think it would be nice to offer it in the docs. It could even be
    proposed as a function :)

    I hope you'll find it useful, but it could well be you finished the
    search&replace of all contribs already (ah, emacs keyboard macros).

    CREATE EXTENSION hstore;

    CREATE SCHEMA empty_place;
    SET search_path TO empty_place;

    WITH objs AS (
    SELECT classid, 'ALTER EXTENSION ' || E.extname || ' ADD '
    replace(pg_describe_object(classid, objid, 0),
    N.nspname, '@extschema@')
    ';' as sql
    FROM pg_depend D
    JOIN pg_extension E ON D.refobjid = E.oid
    AND D.refclassid = E.tableoid
    JOIN pg_namespace N ON E.extnamespace = N.oid
    WHERE CASE WHEN classid = 'pg_catalog.pg_type'::regclass
    THEN (SELECT typarray FROM pg_type WHERE oid=objid) != 0
    ELSE true
    END
    AND deptype = 'e' AND E.extname = 'hstore'
    )
    SELECT
    CASE WHEN classid IN ('pg_catalog.pg_opclass'::regclass,
    'pg_catalog.pg_opfamily'::regclass)
    THEN replace(sql, 'for access method', 'using')
    ELSE sql
    END
    FROM objs;

    Dimitri Fontaine
  • Tom Lane at Feb 13, 2011 at 8:52 pm

    Dimitri Fontaine writes:
    Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
    OK, so with that, attached is an example of the complete conversion diff
    for a contrib module (hstore in particular). Although "git status"
    I see you're not using the @extschema@ placeholder in the upgrade
    script. It is intentional?
    Yes, it should be unnecessary given the search_path setup done by
    execute_extension_script(). Also, I think that a relocatable
    extension's script should not be subject to @extschema@ substitution,
    no matter what.
    I think you'd be interested into this reworked SQL query. It should be
    providing exactly the script file you need as an upgrade from unpackaged.
    This seems overly complicated. I have a version of it that I'll publish
    as soon as I've tested it on all the contrib modules ...

    regards, tom lane
  • Dimitri Fontaine at Feb 13, 2011 at 9:06 pm

    Tom Lane writes:
    Yes, it should be unnecessary given the search_path setup done by
    execute_extension_script(). Also, I think that a relocatable
    extension's script should not be subject to @extschema@ substitution,
    no matter what.
    Oh I'm just realizing that my reasoning predates the search_path strong
    guarantees at CREATE EXTENSION time.
    I think you'd be interested into this reworked SQL query. It should be
    providing exactly the script file you need as an upgrade from unpackaged.
    This seems overly complicated. I have a version of it that I'll publish
    as soon as I've tested it on all the contrib modules ...
    Nice. I confess I worked out mine from my last patch where I still have
    the INTERNAL dependencies setup etc, so maybe that makes it more complex
    that it needs to be.

    Dimitri Fontaine
  • Tom Lane at Feb 15, 2011 at 6:41 pm

    I wrote:
    Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> writes:
    I think you'd be interested into this reworked SQL query. It should be
    providing exactly the script file you need as an upgrade from unpackaged.
    This seems overly complicated. I have a version of it that I'll publish
    as soon as I've tested it on all the contrib modules ...
    Just for the archives' sake: the '@extschema@' business did turn out to
    be important, at least for tsearch2 where it's necessary to distinguish
    the objects it's dealing with from similarly-named objects in
    pg_catalog. So this is what I used to generate the "unpackaged"
    scripts. Some of them needed manual adjustment later to cover cases
    where 9.1 had diverged from 9.0, but the script could hardly be expected
    to know about that.

    #! /bin/sh

    MOD="$1"

    psql -d testdb -c "create extension $MOD"

    (
    echo "/* contrib/$MOD/$MOD--unpackaged--1.0.sql */"
    echo

    psql -A -t -d testdb -c "
    SELECT 'ALTER EXTENSION ' || E.extname || ' ADD '
    replace(pg_describe_object(classid, objid, 0),
    N.nspname, '@extschema@')
    ';'
    FROM pg_depend D
    JOIN pg_extension E ON D.refobjid = E.oid
    AND D.refclassid = E.tableoid
    JOIN pg_namespace N ON E.extnamespace = N.oid
    WHERE deptype = 'e' AND E.extname = '$MOD'
    ORDER BY D.objid
    " | sed -e 's/ADD cast from \(.*\) to \(.*\);/ADD cast (\1 as \2);/' \
    -e 's/ for access method / using /'
    ) > contrib/$MOD/$MOD--unpackaged--1.0.sql

    regards, tom lane
  • Dimitri Fontaine at Feb 15, 2011 at 9:49 pm

    Tom Lane writes:
    Just for the archives' sake: the '@extschema@' business did turn out to
    be important, at least for tsearch2 where it's necessary to distinguish
    the objects it's dealing with from similarly-named objects in
    pg_catalog. So this is what I used to generate the "unpackaged"
    scripts. Some of them needed manual adjustment later to cover cases
    where 9.1 had diverged from 9.0, but the script could hardly be expected
    to know about that.
    Good to know that even contrib needs that!
    #! /bin/sh

    MOD="$1"

    psql -d testdb -c "create extension $MOD"

    (
    echo "/* contrib/$MOD/$MOD--unpackaged--1.0.sql */"
    echo

    psql -A -t -d testdb -c "
    SELECT 'ALTER EXTENSION ' || E.extname || ' ADD '
    replace(pg_describe_object(classid, objid, 0),
    N.nspname, '@extschema@')
    ';'
    FROM pg_depend D
    JOIN pg_extension E ON D.refobjid = E.oid
    AND D.refclassid = E.tableoid
    JOIN pg_namespace N ON E.extnamespace = N.oid
    WHERE deptype = 'e' AND E.extname = '$MOD'
    ORDER BY D.objid
    " | sed -e 's/ADD cast from \(.*\) to \(.*\);/ADD cast (\1 as \2);/' \
    -e 's/ for access method / using /'
    ) > contrib/$MOD/$MOD--unpackaged--1.0.sql
    Ah well sed makes it simpler to read, but it won't be usable in windows.
    I now realize also that the second version of this query did some
    useless array type filtering. Adding a replace() step in the query
    would not be that ugly I guess, if we wanted to make it so.

    Do we want to add such a query in the docs to help pgfoundry authors to
    write their own 'from unpackaged' scripts?

    CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION extension_unpackaged_upgrade_script(text)
    RETURNS SETOF text
    LANGUAGE SQL
    AS $$
    WITH objs AS (
    SELECT 'ALTER EXTENSION ' || E.extname || ' ADD '
    replace(pg_describe_object(classid, objid, 0),
    N.nspname, '@extschema@')
    ';' AS d
    FROM pg_depend D
    JOIN pg_extension E ON D.refobjid = E.oid
    AND D.refclassid = E.tableoid
    JOIN pg_namespace N ON E.extnamespace = N.oid
    WHERE deptype = 'e' AND E.extname = $1
    ORDER BY D.objid
    )
    SELECT regexp_replace(replace(d, ' for access method ', ' using '),
    'ADD cast from (.*) to (.*);',
    E'ADD cast (\\1 as \\2);')
    FROM objs
    $$;

    dim=# select * from extension_unpackaged_upgrade_script('lo');
    extension_unpackaged_upgrade_script
    ALTER EXTENSION lo ADD type @extschema@.lo;
    ALTER EXTENSION lo ADD function @extschema@.lo_oid(@extschema@.lo);
    ALTER EXTENSION lo ADD function @extschema@.lo_manage();
    (3 rows)

    Dimitri Fontaine
  • Andrew Dunstan at Feb 15, 2011 at 9:55 pm