I see there was significant discussion back in February 2010 as to an
OpenVMS port of PostgreSQL.

I am interested in seeing PostgreSQL ported to OpenVMS as it will then
faciliate other Open Source ports - like OpenBravo.

HP OpenVMS Engineering is encouraging Open Source ports. A set of machines
are available which are internet accessable. I would be willing to act as
the focal point in the effort as I have significant OpenVMS experience as
well as access to others who would be willing to lend an ear and possibly
suggestions as well as to provide event support.

In my research it appears that there have been maybe three or four efforts
to get this effort started over the last 10 years or so. I have attempted
to reach out to people in these efforts to get some understanding of what
they tried - what worked and what did not.

I personally would recommend an initial port via GNV. Then look to what
might be necessary to move PostgreSQL outside of that environment. I would
not recommend support for ODS-2 given the inherent Unix/Linux directory
implementation within the code.

I look forward to hearing from people in the PostgreSQL community as well as
from others interested in this effort.

Thanks,

Bill.

Bill Pedersen
CCSS - Computer Consulting System Services
211 Ruth Drive
Gaffney, SC 29341
Telephone: 864-490-8863
Mobile: 408-892-5204
Facsimile: 866-394-9148
www: www.ccsscorp.com
Skype Name: william.a.pedersen
LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/billpedersen

Search Discussions

  • Chris Browne at Feb 7, 2011 at 5:21 pm

    "Bill Pedersen" writes:
    I look forward to hearing from people in the PostgreSQL community as well as
    from others interested in this effort.
    To a number of us, it's academically interesting, though, as we don't
    have VMS systems, it's not likely to be super-easy to assist in the
    matter.

    It certainly would be interesting to see how easy or difficult the port
    would be. I suspect that's a more interesting port than, say, Digital
    UNIX, these days.
    --
    (reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.sesabatadxunil" "@" "enworbbc"))
    http://linuxfinances.info/info/slony.html

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedFeb 5, '11 at 1:08a
activeFeb 7, '11 at 5:21p
websitepostgresql.org...
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Bill Pedersen: 1 post Chris Browne: 1 post