Hi,

When I run "git pull" from the git master and "make", I encountered
the following compilation error.

gcc -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -Wformat-security
-fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -g -I../../src/port -I../../src/include
-D_GNU_SOURCE -c chklocale.c -o chklocale_srv.o
In file included from ../../src/include/postgres.h:48,
from chklocale.c:17:
../../src/include/utils/elog.h:69:28: error: utils/errcodes.h: No such
file or directory
make[2]: *** [chklocale_srv.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/head/src/port'
make[1]: *** [install-port-recurse] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/head/src'
make: *** [install-src-recurse] Error 2


I guess the following commit causes a problem.

-------------
Avoid maintaining three separate copies of the error codes list.

src/pl/plpgsql/src/plerrcodes.h, src/include/utils/errcodes.h, and a
big chunk of errcodes.sgml are now automatically generated from a single
file, src/backend/utils/errcodes.txt.
-------------

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NIPPON TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE CORPORATION
NTT Open Source Software Center

Search Discussions

  • Robert Haas at Feb 4, 2011 at 4:42 am

    On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Fujii Masao wrote:
    Hi,

    When I run "git pull" from the git master and "make", I encountered
    the following compilation error.

    gcc -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
    -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -Wformat-security
    -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -g  -I../../src/port  -I../../src/include
    -D_GNU_SOURCE  -c chklocale.c -o chklocale_srv.o
    In file included from ../../src/include/postgres.h:48,
    from chklocale.c:17:
    ../../src/include/utils/elog.h:69:28: error: utils/errcodes.h: No such
    file or directory
    make[2]: *** [chklocale_srv.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/head/src/port'
    make[1]: *** [install-port-recurse] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/head/src'
    make: *** [install-src-recurse] Error 2


    I guess the following commit causes a problem.

    -------------
    Avoid maintaining three separate copies of the error codes list.

    src/pl/plpgsql/src/plerrcodes.h, src/include/utils/errcodes.h, and a
    big chunk of errcodes.sgml are now automatically generated from a single
    file, src/backend/utils/errcodes.txt.
    -------------
    The build farm doesn't look too happy with it either, but of course it
    worked for me here. I guess there's a missing dependency somewhere.

    *goes off to look*

    --
    Robert Haas
    EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
    The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
  • Robert Haas at Feb 4, 2011 at 5:11 am

    On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
    On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Fujii Masao wrote:
    Hi,

    When I run "git pull" from the git master and "make", I encountered
    the following compilation error.

    gcc -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
    -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -Wformat-security
    -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -g  -I../../src/port  -I../../src/include
    -D_GNU_SOURCE  -c chklocale.c -o chklocale_srv.o
    In file included from ../../src/include/postgres.h:48,
    from chklocale.c:17:
    ../../src/include/utils/elog.h:69:28: error: utils/errcodes.h: No such
    file or directory
    make[2]: *** [chklocale_srv.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/head/src/port'
    make[1]: *** [install-port-recurse] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/head/src'
    make: *** [install-src-recurse] Error 2


    I guess the following commit causes a problem.

    -------------
    Avoid maintaining three separate copies of the error codes list.

    src/pl/plpgsql/src/plerrcodes.h, src/include/utils/errcodes.h, and a
    big chunk of errcodes.sgml are now automatically generated from a single
    file, src/backend/utils/errcodes.txt.
    -------------
    The build farm doesn't look too happy with it either, but of course it
    worked for me here.  I guess there's a missing dependency somewhere.

    *goes off to look*
    I just pushed some fixes to unbreak the VPATH build (I hope) but I
    don't see exactly what's going wrong to cause you the problem shown
    above. Can you try with a completely fresh tree and send the whole
    build log if it's still failing?

    --
    Robert Haas
    EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
    The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
  • Robert Haas at Feb 4, 2011 at 5:19 am

    On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
    On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
    On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Fujii Masao wrote:
    Hi,

    When I run "git pull" from the git master and "make", I encountered
    the following compilation error.

    gcc -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
    -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -Wformat-security
    -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -g  -I../../src/port  -I../../src/include
    -D_GNU_SOURCE  -c chklocale.c -o chklocale_srv.o
    In file included from ../../src/include/postgres.h:48,
    from chklocale.c:17:
    ../../src/include/utils/elog.h:69:28: error: utils/errcodes.h: No such
    file or directory
    make[2]: *** [chklocale_srv.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/head/src/port'
    make[1]: *** [install-port-recurse] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/head/src'
    make: *** [install-src-recurse] Error 2


    I guess the following commit causes a problem.

    -------------
    Avoid maintaining three separate copies of the error codes list.

    src/pl/plpgsql/src/plerrcodes.h, src/include/utils/errcodes.h, and a
    big chunk of errcodes.sgml are now automatically generated from a single
    file, src/backend/utils/errcodes.txt.
    -------------
    The build farm doesn't look too happy with it either, but of course it
    worked for me here.  I guess there's a missing dependency somewhere.

    *goes off to look*
    I just pushed some fixes to unbreak the VPATH build (I hope) but I
    don't see exactly what's going wrong to cause you the problem shown
    above.  Can you try with a completely fresh tree and send the whole
    build log if it's still failing?
    MSVC isn't happy with this either:

    Writing fmgroids.h
    Writing fmgrtab.c
    Generating probes.h...
    Generating errcodes.h...
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
    Could not open src\backend\utils\errcodes.h at
    src/tools/msvc/Mkvcbuild.pm line 463

    I can't immediately grok what I need to do to fix that.

    --
    Robert Haas
    EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
    The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
  • Magnus Hagander at Feb 4, 2011 at 9:53 am

    On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 06:19, Robert Haas wrote:
    On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 12:11 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
    On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
    On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Fujii Masao wrote:
    Hi,

    When I run "git pull" from the git master and "make", I encountered
    the following compilation error.

    gcc -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
    -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -Wformat-security
    -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -g  -I../../src/port  -I../../src/include
    -D_GNU_SOURCE  -c chklocale.c -o chklocale_srv.o
    In file included from ../../src/include/postgres.h:48,
    from chklocale.c:17:
    ../../src/include/utils/elog.h:69:28: error: utils/errcodes.h: No such
    file or directory
    make[2]: *** [chklocale_srv.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/head/src/port'
    make[1]: *** [install-port-recurse] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/head/src'
    make: *** [install-src-recurse] Error 2


    I guess the following commit causes a problem.

    -------------
    Avoid maintaining three separate copies of the error codes list.

    src/pl/plpgsql/src/plerrcodes.h, src/include/utils/errcodes.h, and a
    big chunk of errcodes.sgml are now automatically generated from a single
    file, src/backend/utils/errcodes.txt.
    -------------
    The build farm doesn't look too happy with it either, but of course it
    worked for me here.  I guess there's a missing dependency somewhere.

    *goes off to look*
    I just pushed some fixes to unbreak the VPATH build (I hope) but I
    don't see exactly what's going wrong to cause you the problem shown
    above.  Can you try with a completely fresh tree and send the whole
    build log if it's still failing?
    MSVC isn't happy with this either:

    Writing fmgroids.h
    Writing fmgrtab.c
    Generating probes.h...
    Generating errcodes.h...
    The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
    Could not open src\backend\utils\errcodes.h at
    src/tools/msvc/Mkvcbuild.pm line 463

    I can't immediately grok what I need to do to fix that.
    I think it's because it's using double quotes and then backslashes in
    the filenames, which will apply escaping. I've changed it to single
    quotes and hope that will fix it - the firewall at the airport here is
    blocking my outbound RDP so I can't verify it now - if it doesn't
    work, I'll take another look later.
  • Fujii Masao at Feb 4, 2011 at 11:39 am

    On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
    I just pushed some fixes to unbreak the VPATH build (I hope) but I
    don't see exactly what's going wrong to cause you the problem shown
    above.  Can you try with a completely fresh tree and send the whole
    build log if it's still failing?
    Sure. I ran the followings, and I encountered the problem again.

    $ make uninstall
    $ make maintainer-clean
    $ git pull
    $ ./configure --prefix=/dav/test
    $ make install

    make_error.log (attached) is the build log file of "make install".
    Also attached config.log.

    When I ran "make" before "make install", both successfully
    finished. So I guess that the "make install" rule in Makefile might
    be corrupted.

    Regards,

    --
    Fujii Masao
    NIPPON TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE CORPORATION
    NTT Open Source Software Center
  • Robert Haas at Feb 4, 2011 at 12:15 pm

    On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 6:39 AM, Fujii Masao wrote:
    When I ran "make" before "make install", both successfully
    finished. So I guess that the "make install" rule in Makefile might
    be corrupted.
    Ah - that's the key. Not corrupted, but missing a dependency. Try it now...

    --
    Robert Haas
    EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
    The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
  • Fujii Masao at Feb 4, 2011 at 1:08 pm

    On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
    On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 6:39 AM, Fujii Masao wrote:
    When I ran "make" before "make install", both successfully
    finished. So I guess that the "make install" rule in Makefile might
    be corrupted.
    Ah - that's the key.  Not corrupted, but missing a dependency.  Try it now...
    Thanks! The problem disappeared from my machine.

    Regards,

    --
    Fujii Masao
    NIPPON TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE CORPORATION
    NTT Open Source Software Center
  • Robert Haas at Feb 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm

    On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Fujii Masao wrote:
    On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
    On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 6:39 AM, Fujii Masao wrote:
    When I ran "make" before "make install", both successfully
    finished. So I guess that the "make install" rule in Makefile might
    be corrupted.
    Ah - that's the key.  Not corrupted, but missing a dependency.  Try it now...
    Thanks! The problem disappeared from my machine.
    Glad to hear it. But the more I like at this, the more screwed up it
    seems. make distprep does the wrong thing, and there are some other
    problems too. Working on it...

    --
    Robert Haas
    EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
    The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedFeb 4, '11 at 4:02a
activeFeb 4, '11 at 1:15p
posts9
users3
websitepostgresql.org...
irc#postgresql

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase