Attached is an updated version of Heikki's patch to use a parser for
the walsender commands, instead of parsing things manually. It also
does some minor refactoring in walsender.c to break out
IdentifySystem() and StartReplication() to their own functions to make
it more readable.

While having an actual parser here isn't *necessary* at this point, it
makes things easier. And it will become increasingly useful as we add
new features (for example, the "include all wal files" option for
streaming base backup, and I'm sure that sync rep will require some
additional commands or changes to commands).

Any objections to doing this?

Search Discussions

  • Dimitri Fontaine at Jan 10, 2011 at 8:08 pm

    Magnus Hagander writes:
    Attached is an updated version of Heikki's patch to use a parser for
    the walsender commands, instead of parsing things manually. It also
    does some minor refactoring in walsender.c to break out
    IdentifySystem() and StartReplication() to their own functions to make
    it more readable.
    Nice work.
    While having an actual parser here isn't *necessary* at this point, it
    makes things easier. And it will become increasingly useful as we add
    new features (for example, the "include all wal files" option for
    streaming base backup, and I'm sure that sync rep will require some
    additional commands or changes to commands).
    Is that option on the roadmap for 9.1? That's huge! Go Magnus!
    Any objections to doing this?
    None here :)
    --
    Dimitri Fontaine