Someone at OSCON just asked if there is a way to find the _time_ delay
between received and applied WAL. Right now
pg_last_xlog_replay_location() only reports the information in WAL
scale. It would be nice to report that in time, e.g. milliseconds.

Because an idle master will not generate WAL, I don't think there is a
way to report the time delay in receiving WAL.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

  • Robert Haas at Jul 21, 2010 at 12:36 am

    Someone at OSCON just asked if there is a way to find the _time_ delay
    between received and applied WAL.  Right now
    pg_last_xlog_replay_location() only reports the information in WAL
    scale.  It would be nice to report that in time, e.g. milliseconds.
    There's probably more than one way you can define this. See, for
    example, previous discussions of max_standby_delay.
    Because an idle master will not generate WAL, I don't think there is a
    way to report the time delay in receiving WAL.
    You could certainly come up with a sensible definition for this,
    though there are also nonsensical ones.

    --
    Robert Haas
    The Enterprise Postgres Company

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedJul 20, '10 at 7:13p
activeJul 21, '10 at 12:36a
websitepostgresql.org...
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Bruce Momjian: 1 post Robert Haas: 1 post