Ther is an open item:
Standby instead of "slave" in documentation
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1273682033.12754.1.camel@vanquo.pezone.net

I replacesd almost all "slave" to "standby" or "standby servers"
not only in HS+SR but also in other places like third-party tools.

There are still 3 places where "slave" is used.
- Terminology: "... are called standby or slave servers."
- Words in old release notes for 8.2 and 8.4.

Could you check those replacements are proper?

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center

Search Discussions

  • Robert Haas at Jun 9, 2010 at 7:37 pm

    Standby instead of "slave" in documentation
    http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1273682033.12754.1.camel@vanquo.pezone.net

    I replacesd almost all "slave" to "standby" or "standby servers"
    not only in HS+SR but also in other places like third-party tools.

    There are still 3 places where "slave" is used.
    - Terminology: "... are called standby or slave servers."
    - Words in old release notes for 8.2 and 8.4.

    Could you check those replacements are proper?
    Some of these read OK, but others just don't sound right. In
    particular, "master/standby replication" just sounds odd. I think the
    word "standby" implies "a server that could take over for the master
    if it died" while "slave" doesn't necessarily have that connotation.
    So for example the changes to protocol.sgml read OK to me, but the
    changes to high-availability.sgml I'm not a big fan of.

    --
    Robert Haas
    The Enterprise Postgres Company

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedJun 4, '10 at 12:44a
activeJun 9, '10 at 7:37p
websitepostgresql.org...
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Takahiro Itagaki: 1 post Robert Haas: 1 post