There is an open item "pg_controldata - machine readable?" in the list:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.0_Open_Items

The proposal by Joe Conway is adding a new contib module.
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4B959D7A.6010907@joeconway.com
http://github.com/jconway/pg_controldata

Should we add the module to 9.0? If we do so, SGML documentation is required.

IMHO, I'd like to put the feature into the core instead of a contrib
module, but we cannot change the catalog version in this time.
So, how about providing control file information through pg_settings
view? We will retrieve those variables as GUC options.

Regards,
---
Takahiro Itagaki
NTT Open Source Software Center

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at May 26, 2010 at 3:03 am

    Takahiro Itagaki writes:
    There is an open item "pg_controldata - machine readable?" in the list:
    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.0_Open_Items
    The proposal by Joe Conway is adding a new contib module.
    http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4B959D7A.6010907@joeconway.com
    http://github.com/jconway/pg_controldata
    Should we add the module to 9.0?
    No. This is a new feature that wasn't even under consideration,
    let alone written, at the time of 9.0 feature freeze. It does not
    get into either core or contrib this time around.

    regards, tom lane
  • Joe Conway at May 26, 2010 at 3:11 am

    There is an open item "pg_controldata - machine readable?" in the list:
    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.0_Open_Items
    The proposal by Joe Conway is adding a new contib module.
    http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4B959D7A.6010907@joeconway.com
    http://github.com/jconway/pg_controldata
    Should we add the module to 9.0?
    No. This is a new feature that wasn't even under consideration,
    let alone written, at the time of 9.0 feature freeze. It does not
    get into either core or contrib this time around.
    Yup, agreed. That was why I put it on github instead of sending a patch
    to the list. It was also a quick and dirty hack -- maybe it could be
    cleaned up for 9.1, but I'm not sure there was consensus that it was
    really needed.

    Joe
  • Takahiro Itagaki at May 26, 2010 at 3:32 am

    Joe Conway wrote:

    There is an open item "pg_controldata - machine readable?" in the list:
    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_9.0_Open_Items
    Should we add the module to 9.0?
    No. This is a new feature that wasn't even under consideration,
    let alone written, at the time of 9.0 feature freeze. It does not
    get into either core or contrib this time around.
    Yup, agreed. That was why I put it on github instead of sending a patch
    to the list. It was also a quick and dirty hack -- maybe it could be
    cleaned up for 9.1, but I'm not sure there was consensus that it was
    really needed.
    OK, I moved it from 9.0 open items to new features for 9.1.

    Regards,
    ---
    Takahiro Itagaki
    NTT Open Source Software Center
  • Greg Smith at Jun 1, 2010 at 5:06 am

    Takahiro Itagaki wrote:
    The proposal by Joe Conway is adding a new contib module.
    http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4B959D7A.6010907@joeconway.com
    http://github.com/jconway/pg_controldata
    There's a second one of these floating around now too:
    http://labs.omniti.com/trac/pgtreats/browser/trunk/contrib/control

    --
    Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
    greg@2ndQuadrant.com www.2ndQuadrant.us