postmaster.c contains the following comment just above the definition
of PMState. It appears to be out of date:

* After reaching a consistent point in WAL redo, startup process signals
* us again, and we switch to PM_RECOVERY_CONSISTENT state. There's currently
* no difference between PM_RECOVERY and PM_RECOVERY_CONSISTENT, but we
* could start accepting connections to perform read-only queries at this
* point, if we had the infrastructure to do that.

The next paragraph has what I believe to be the correct information:

* Normal child backends can only be launched when we are in PM_RUN or
* PM_RECOVERY_CONSISTENT state. (We also allow launch of normal

I am happy to fix this but thought SImon or Heikki or Tom might like
to either (a) jump in and do it themselves or (b) tell me if I've
misunderstood the situation. If neither of those is the case then I
will go ahead and fix it.

Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Search Discussions

  • Fujii Masao at May 13, 2010 at 1:59 am

    postmaster.c contains the following comment just above the definition
    of PMState.  It appears to be out of date:

    * After reaching a consistent point in WAL redo, startup process signals
    * us again, and we switch to PM_RECOVERY_CONSISTENT state. There's currently
    * no difference between PM_RECOVERY and PM_RECOVERY_CONSISTENT, but we
    * could start accepting connections to perform read-only queries at this
    * point, if we had the infrastructure to do that.
    But the first sentence of the above seems to be correct and helpful. No?

    Fujii Masao
    NTT Open Source Software Center
  • Robert Haas at May 13, 2010 at 2:56 am

    postmaster.c contains the following comment just above the definition
    of PMState.  It appears to be out of date:

    * After reaching a consistent point in WAL redo, startup process signals
    * us again, and we switch to PM_RECOVERY_CONSISTENT state. There's currently
    * no difference between PM_RECOVERY and PM_RECOVERY_CONSISTENT, but we
    * could start accepting connections to perform read-only queries at this
    * point, if we had the infrastructure to do that.
    But the first sentence of the above seems to be correct and helpful. No?
    Yes. I was just quoting the whole thing for context.

    --
    Robert Haas
    The Enterprise Postgres Company

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedMay 12, '10 at 7:20p
activeMay 13, '10 at 2:56a
websitepostgresql.org...
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Robert Haas: 2 posts Fujii Masao: 1 post