I'm wondering the reason that I see (void *) casts for function call
parameters which are pointers to specific structures. Do some
compilers generate warnings if these are omitted? It's hard to
believe that the generated code would differ without them.

-Kevin

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Apr 28, 2010 at 6:34 pm

    I'm wondering the reason that I see (void *) casts for function call
    parameters which are pointers to specific structures. Do some
    compilers generate warnings if these are omitted?
    There are some places where we do that to suppress warnings, yes.
    Any particular place where you think it's unnecessary?

    regards, tom lane
  • Kevin Grittner at Apr 28, 2010 at 6:39 pm

    Tom Lane wrote:

    Any particular place where you think it's unnecessary?
    How about the 2nd (tag pointer) parameter for hash_search?

    -Kevin

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedApr 28, '10 at 6:22p
activeApr 28, '10 at 6:39p
websitepostgresql.org...
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Kevin Grittner: 2 posts Tom Lane: 1 post