On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Jaime Casanova wrote:
On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Jaime Casanova
wrote:
i think "make standbycheck" needs a little more work, why it isn't
accesible from top of source dir?
what i want to do.

1) make standbycheck should be accesible from top source dirs
2) it should use an existing regression database on an already
configured standby server (no need of the hs_primary_setup.sql)
3) it should execute the existing set of tests (the ones installcheck
execute) but with a new set of expected results, that way we can be
sure that what should be disallowed is disallowed and that the
database is returning consistent values. i've thought about having
expected/normal (or expected/primary) and expected/standby and check
actual results against the appropiate one depending if we use
installcheck and standbycheck

comments? i will start this the weekend...

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova

Search Discussions

  • Jaime Casanova at Apr 26, 2010 at 6:50 am

    On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Jaime Casanova
    On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Jaime Casanova
    i think "make standbycheck" needs a little more work, why it isn't
    accesible from top of source dir?
    what i want to do.
    i started to make this, this weekend
    3) it should execute the existing set of tests (the ones installcheck
    execute) but with a new set of expected results, that way we can be
    sure that what should be disallowed is disallowed and that the
    database is returning consistent values. i've thought about having
    expected/normal (or expected/primary) and expected/standby and check
    actual results against the appropiate one depending if we use
    installcheck and standbycheck
    the real question here is how pg_regress.c should know that it should
    compare against expected/primary or expected/standby?
    i mean, could i add an --standby option (my preferred) to pg_regress.c
    or should i try to guess it from current options and/or asking to the
    server?

    --
    Atentamente,
    Jaime Casanova
    Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL
    Asesoría y desarrollo de sistemas
    Guayaquil - Ecuador
    Cel. +59387171157
  • Heikki Linnakangas at Apr 26, 2010 at 7:33 am

    Jaime Casanova wrote:
    On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Jaime Casanova
    3) it should execute the existing set of tests (the ones installcheck
    execute) but with a new set of expected results, that way we can be
    sure that what should be disallowed is disallowed and that the
    database is returning consistent values. i've thought about having
    expected/normal (or expected/primary) and expected/standby and check
    actual results against the appropiate one depending if we use
    installcheck and standbycheck
    the real question here is how pg_regress.c should know that it should
    compare against expected/primary or expected/standby?
    i mean, could i add an --standby option (my preferred) to pg_regress.c
    or should i try to guess it from current options and/or asking to the
    server?
    How many of the tests in the regular regression suite do anything useful
    when run against a standby server? They all have to set up a bunch of
    objects before they run queries, so you just get a lot of errors
    complaining that you can't do X in standby mode, followed by errors
    about missing objects. That doesn't sound very useful.

    --
    Heikki Linnakangas
  • Jaime Casanova at Apr 26, 2010 at 7:45 am

    How many of the tests in the regular regression suite do anything useful
    when run against a standby server? They all have to set up a bunch of
    objects before they run queries, so you just get a lot of errors
    complaining that you can't do X in standby mode, followed by errors
    about missing objects. That doesn't sound very useful.
    granted. what i'm looking for is a way of continually see that the
    standby will return consistent values and yes, i want to be sure that
    we disallow everything that we need to...

    maybe just a new set of tests? maybe i just should make the hs_* tests
    use regression's database tables intead of the ones it is using?

    --
    Atentamente,
    Jaime Casanova
    Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL
    Asesoría y desarrollo de sistemas
    Guayaquil - Ecuador
    Cel. +59387171157
  • Simon Riggs at May 1, 2010 at 12:22 pm

    On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
    How many of the tests in the regular regression suite do anything useful
    when run against a standby server? They all have to set up a bunch of
    objects before they run queries, so you just get a lot of errors
    complaining that you can't do X in standby mode, followed by errors
    about missing objects. That doesn't sound very useful.
    granted. what i'm looking for is a way of continually see that the
    standby will return consistent values and yes, i want to be sure that
    we disallow everything that we need to...

    maybe just a new set of tests? maybe i just should make the hs_* tests
    use regression's database tables intead of the ones it is using?
    The existing standbycheck does statically test for all the things that
    should be allowed and all the things that should be disallowed. If its
    missing some, please say.

    Standbycheck doesn't test dynamic behaviour, which is more than a
    regression test suite is supposed to do. Yes, dynamic tests needed also.

    The most important thing now is that there are some tests in CVS and
    they cover the documented static behaviours.

    --
    Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com
  • Jaime Casanova at May 1, 2010 at 2:06 pm

    On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
    How many of the tests in the regular regression suite do anything useful
    when run against a standby server? They all have to set up a bunch of
    objects before they run queries, so you just get a lot of errors
    complaining that you can't do X in standby mode, followed by errors
    about missing objects. That doesn't sound very useful.
    granted. what i'm looking for is a way of continually see that the
    standby will return consistent values and yes, i want to be sure that
    we disallow everything that we need to...

    maybe just a new set of tests? maybe i just should make the hs_* tests
    use regression's database tables intead of the ones it is using?
    The existing standbycheck does statically test for all the things that
    should be allowed and all the things that should be disallowed. If its
    missing some, please say.
    maybe we should be using the tables that exists in the regression
    database or adding hs_setup_primary in installcheck to prepare the
    regression database to run standbycheck in the standby server

    --
    Atentamente,
    Jaime Casanova
    Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL
    Asesoría y desarrollo de sistemas
    Guayaquil - Ecuador
    Cel. +59387171157
  • Simon Riggs at May 1, 2010 at 3:17 pm

    maybe we should be using the tables that exists in the regression
    database or adding hs_setup_primary in installcheck to prepare the
    regression database to run standbycheck in the standby server
    That's part of the procedure already.

    We need something better for the future, though not sure if there's any
    small tweaks worth making for 9.0 right now. Let's start making wider
    plans for next release.

    --
    Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com
  • Tom Lane at May 1, 2010 at 4:37 pm

    Simon Riggs writes:
    maybe we should be using the tables that exists in the regression
    database or adding hs_setup_primary in installcheck to prepare the
    regression database to run standbycheck in the standby server
    That's part of the procedure already.
    Where is this test procedure documented?

    regards, tom lane
  • Simon Riggs at May 1, 2010 at 4:56 pm

    maybe we should be using the tables that exists in the regression
    database or adding hs_setup_primary in installcheck to prepare the
    regression database to run standbycheck in the standby server
    That's part of the procedure already.
    Where is this test procedure documented?
    In src/test/regress/standby_schedule

    hs_standby_check.sql throws warning if not setup correctly.

    --
    Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com
  • Tom Lane at May 1, 2010 at 5:12 pm

    Simon Riggs writes:
    Where is this test procedure documented?
    In src/test/regress/standby_schedule
    That's a good way to ensure nobody knows it's there :-(

    If you want users to run this, document it in cookbook fashion in
    doc/src/sgml/regress.sgml

    regards, tom lane
  • Simon Riggs at May 1, 2010 at 5:36 pm

    Where is this test procedure documented?
    In src/test/regress/standby_schedule
    That's a good way to ensure nobody knows it's there :-(

    If you want users to run this, document it in cookbook fashion in
    doc/src/sgml/regress.sgml
    OK

    --
    Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com
  • Simon Riggs at May 2, 2010 at 2:15 pm

    maybe we should be using the tables that exists in the regression
    database or adding hs_setup_primary in installcheck to prepare the
    regression database to run standbycheck in the standby server
    This can definitely use some improvement though not yet.

    I've documented what's there a little better and fixed up the test
    results.

    Thanks for your input in this area.

    --
    Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com