The post about the dev docs needing more hot standby mentions prompted
me to have a look at how streaming replication is documented. Ignore
this if this has already been discussed (I couldn't find any posts),
but I couldn't find any mention of streaming replication except in the
write ahead log configuration. There doesn't seem to be anything in
the index linked to a description of this major feature, why you would
use it, or how it works. There's also no mention in the release
overview.

This is probably due to it being a work in progress and hasn't been
written yet, but thought I'd raise it just in case.

Thanks

Thom

Search Discussions

  • Thom Brown at Feb 7, 2010 at 10:41 am

    The post about the dev docs needing more hot standby mentions prompted
    me to have a look at how streaming replication is documented.  Ignore
    this if this has already been discussed (I couldn't find any posts),
    but I couldn't find any mention of streaming replication except in the
    write ahead log configuration.  There doesn't seem to be anything in
    the index linked to a description of this major feature, why you would
    use it, or how it works.  There's also no mention in the release
    overview.

    This is probably due to it being a work in progress and hasn't been
    written yet, but thought I'd raise it just in case.

    Thanks

    Thom
    Okay, after some searching, I found some sections on streaming
    replication not referenced in the index:

    http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/warm-standby.html#STREAMING-REPLICATION

    Streaming Replication Protocol:
    http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/protocol-replication.html

    Main section about Streaming Replication: Maybe these should get
    indexed under streaming replication?

    Thanks

    Thom
  • Heikki Linnakangas at Feb 7, 2010 at 10:49 am

    Thom Brown wrote:
[...]

    Yeah, as you noticed, the documentation for streaming replication is
    currently non-existent. That obviously needs to be fixed. I think we
    need to move the existing sections around, and of course add a lot of
    documentation for the new streaming replication and hot standby specific
    stuff. I proposed a new layout here:

    http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4B50A600.3090309@enterprisedb.com

    which people seemed to agree with. If you want to help with that,
    perhaps the best starting point would be to start writing text for the
    new chapters of that new layout.

    --
    Heikki Linnakangas
  • Thom Brown at Feb 7, 2010 at 11:58 am

[...]

    I'm wondering if I "gave it a go", I'd be more of a hindrance than a
    help, as I'm not really familiar enough with the workings of hot
    standby to provide this missing information. In fact that's why I
    looked for the documentation, because I wanted to learn how it works
    and how to use it. I'd be happy to review any doc changes to ensure
    enough information is available and that it's clear enough to
    end-users though.

    And I do prefer the proposed layout.

    Thom
  • Fujii Masao at Feb 9, 2010 at 1:58 am