I've had a private report of these error messages in a test of Hot
Standby, but IMHO these aren't related to that patch. It seems more
likely to be related to the new VACUUM code? Certainly hot standby does
nothing to the normal flow of existing WAL records.

LOG: database system was interrupted; last known up at 2008-12-16
12:56:57 EST
LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
progress
LOG: redo starts at 0/655A68
LOG: record with zero length at 0/658150
LOG: redo done at 0/658080
WARNING: page 35 of relation base/11517/1249 did not exist
WARNING: page 32 of relation base/11517/1249 did not exist
WARNING: page 33 of relation base/11517/1249 did not exist
WARNING: page 34 of relation base/11517/1249 did not exist
PANIC: WAL contains references to invalid pages

The WAL record was destroyed before it could be analysed, so we can't do
much for now.

Ideas please?

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com

  • Heikki Linnakangas at Dec 17, 2008 at 3:12 pm

    Simon Riggs wrote:
[...]

    Hmm, could well be related to the visibility map or FSM. Although those
    messages suggest that it's a heap/index page that's missing, not FSM or
    VM page. Any idea how to reproduce that?

    --
    Heikki Linnakangas
  • Simon Riggs at Dec 17, 2008 at 3:19 pm

    Hmm, could well be related to the visibility map or FSM. Although those
    messages suggest that it's a heap/index page that's missing, not FSM or
    VM page. Any idea how to reproduce that?
    Regrettably, none. I will ask to see if the sequence of actions can be
    repeated, but that may not get us anywhere.

    --
    Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com
  • Gregory Stark at Dec 17, 2008 at 3:43 pm

    Simon Riggs writes:
    Hmm, could well be related to the visibility map or FSM. Although those
    messages suggest that it's a heap/index page that's missing, not FSM or
    VM page. Any idea how to reproduce that?
    Regrettably, none. I will ask to see if the sequence of actions can be
    repeated, but that may not get us anywhere.
    This was with CVS HEAD?

    --
    Gregory Stark
  • Simon Riggs at Dec 17, 2008 at 3:48 pm

    Hmm, could well be related to the visibility map or FSM. Although those
    messages suggest that it's a heap/index page that's missing, not FSM or
    VM page. Any idea how to reproduce that?
    Regrettably, none. I will ask to see if the sequence of actions can be
    repeated, but that may not get us anywhere.
    This was with CVS HEAD?
    Yes

    --
    Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com