I'm getting these on Fedora-9:

tqual.c:115: warning: inlining failed in call to ‘SetHintBits’: call is
unlikely and code size would grow
tqual.c:377: warning: called from here

tuplesort.c: In function ‘comparetup_index’:
tuplesort.c:2423: warning: inlining failed in call to ‘myFunctionCall2’:
--param large-stack-frame-growth limit reached
tuplesort.c:2474: warning: called from here

All these appear a few more times during compilation.

I'm not sure we fixed these in 8.3 branch, and wanted to post it
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
http://www.gunduz.org

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Sep 13, 2008 at 6:46 pm

    Devrim =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=DCND=DCZ?= <devrim@gunduz.org> writes:
    I'm getting these on Fedora-9:
    tqual.c:115: warning: inlining failed in call to ‘SetHintBits’: call is
    They're just cosmetic. We don't generally worry about fixing cosmetic
    warnings in back branches.

    regards, tom lane
  • Gregory Stark at Sep 15, 2008 at 10:08 am

    Tom Lane writes:

    Devrim =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=DCND=DCZ?= <devrim@gunduz.org> writes:
    I'm getting these on Fedora-9:
    tqual.c:115: warning: inlining failed in call to ‘SetHintBits’: call is
    They're just cosmetic. We don't generally worry about fixing cosmetic
    warnings in back branches.
    Are they? It seems like these were marked inline for a reason. SetHintBits has
    at least one conditional in it which can often be optimized out (it's either
    InvalidTransactionId or else has been tested already).

    In the tuplestore case there's not much point in having that function if it's
    not going to be inlined. I'm imagining that it was put in because someone did
    verify that the non-inlined version was consuming significant time. -- Perhaps
    a bit assumption though.

    Also, is 8.3 really a "back branch"? It's the current release and anyone
    downloading Postgres from source on the web site will be getting these
    warnings -- and there are a lot of them. Enough that it looks like something's
    gone wrong with the build.

    --
    Gregory Stark

grouppgsql-hackers @