Hi,

Devrim has been trying to set up RPM files for 8.4devel. However, the
tarballs he is generating are not alike those found in our FTP site;
official ones include manpages and HTML docs as man.tar.gz and
postgres.tar.gz, but a simple "make dist" does not seem to include them.

I'm wondering how are these things supposed to be generated. Does Marc
create the regular tarballs using "make dist", and then unpack them and
include the other tarballs inside? Does he use a different make target?

One idea I suggested was running "make man.tar.gz postgres.tar.gz"
before "make dist", but that doesn't really work apparently. Here's
why:

[devrim@laptop pgsql]$ make dist
rm -rf postgresql-8.4devel* =install=
for x in `cd . && find . -name CVS -prune -o -print`; do \
file=`expr X$x : 'X\./\(.*\)'`; \
if test -d "./$file" ; then \
mkdir "postgresql-8.4devel/$file" && chmod 777 "postgresql-8.4devel/$file"; \
else \
ln "./$file" "postgresql-8.4devel/$file" >/dev/null 2>&1 \
cp "./$file" "postgresql-8.4devel/$file"; \
fi || exit; \
done
cp: cannot stat `./doc/src/sgml/CREATE': No such file or directory

  • Tom Lane at Sep 2, 2008 at 9:04 pm

    Alvaro Herrera writes:
    I'm wondering how are these things supposed to be generated. Does Marc
    create the regular tarballs using "make dist", and then unpack them and
    include the other tarballs inside? Does he use a different make target?
    I think you need "make distprep" first. I've never seen Marc's actual
    build script, however.

    regards, tom lane
  • Devrim Gündüz at Sep 3, 2008 at 5:01 am
    I think you need "make distprep" first.
    Still, we have problems here. I first created man.tar.gz,
    postgres.tar.gz and ran gmake INSTALL HISTORY under doc/src/sgml and
    moved them to top level directory. However, I am getting the following
    error regardless I ran distprep or not:

    $ make VERSION=8.4devel dist
    rm -rf postgresql-8.4devel* =install=
    for x in `cd . && find . -name CVS -prune -o -print`; do \
    file=`expr X$x : 'X\./\(.*\)'`; \
    if test -d "./$file" ; then \
    mkdir "postgresql-8.4devel/$file" && chmod 777
    "postgresql-8.4devel/$file"; \
    else \
    ln "./$file" "postgresql-8.4devel/$file" >/dev/null 2>&1 \
    cp "./$file" "postgresql-8.4devel/$file"; \
    fi || exit; \
    done
    cp: cannot stat `./doc/src/sgml/CREATE': No such file or directory
    make: *** [distdir] Error 1

    The problem is (as Alvaro stated me on Jabber), the space between CREATE
    and AGGREGATE (there are a bunch of them actually). Checked GNUMakefile
    and saw this in distdir target:

    cp "$(top_srcdir)/$$file" "$(distdir)/$$file";

    I thought quotes would help us here, but apparently it does not.

    However, when I run ./configure and make dist, and then extract the
    tarball, generate man.tar.gz with postgres.tar.gz, add these to the
    previous tarball and rewrap it, it works. But I "want to" assume that it
    is not the way that PostgreSQL tarballs are created.
    I've never seen Marc's actual build script, however.
    I have zero idea why these scripts are not included in CVS...

    Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
    http://www.gunduz.org

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql