Greg Smith wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

Bite the bullet and start showing the buffer settings as a pure number of bytes
everywhere, and get rid of the confusing '8kB' unit in pg_settings?
There's already some changes needed in this area needed to execute the
full GUC cleanup/wizard plan that's being worked on. The pg_settings view
really should show the value both as the user input it and as it's stored
internally for cases like these, which lowers the confusion here a bit
even without going so far as converting everything to bytes.
Is this a TODO?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

  • Greg Smith at Aug 12, 2008 at 7:43 pm

    There's already some changes needed in this area needed to execute the
    full GUC cleanup/wizard plan that's being worked on. The pg_settings view
    really should show the value both as the user input it and as it's stored
    internally for cases like these, which lowers the confusion here a bit
    even without going so far as converting everything to bytes.
    Is this a TODO?
    I don't think you need yet another TODO for every detail, the existing
    TODO "Add external tool to auto-tune some postgresql.conf parameters" has
    to squash a bunch of issues in this area. This particular issue Greg
    raised will already be improved significantly if executing the larger
    project plan at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/GUCS_Overhaul

    This week Robert Treat and I have been doing a lot of work on "Problem #1"
    there, "Most people have no idea how to set [GUCs]" which I know some
    people wanted to see a more formal document for before mucking with any of
    the code. I'll have something to announce there shortly.

  • Decibel! at Aug 22, 2008 at 4:29 pm

    There's already some changes needed in this area needed to
    execute the
    full GUC cleanup/wizard plan that's being worked on. The
    pg_settings view
    really should show the value both as the user input it and as
    it's stored
    internally for cases like these, which lowers the confusion here
    a bit
    even without going so far as converting everything to bytes.
    Is this a TODO?
    I don't think you need yet another TODO for every detail, the
    existing TODO "Add external tool to auto-tune some postgresql.conf
    parameters" has to squash a bunch of issues in this area. This
    particular issue Greg raised will already be improved significantly
    if executing the larger project plan at http://wiki.postgresql.org/
    wiki/GUCS_Overhaul

    Yeah, but OTOH it's not clear at all when we might see such a tool,
    while clarifying this stuff would help people immediately... I think
    a TODO would be good to make sure this doesn't fall through the cracks.
    --
    Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel@decibel.org

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql