The docs contain the following example of an archive_command for use
with standalone hot backup:

test -f /var/lib/pgsql/backup_in_progress && cp -i %p
/var/lib/pgsql/archive/%f </dev/null

Unfortunately, as I found out when I tried it, this command returns a
non-zero (on Linux/bash) when the backup_in_progress file doesn't exist,
which means that we keep accumulating WAL files when we should be
recycling them.

ISTM it would be better to use this:

if test -f /var/lib/pgsql/backup_in_progress ; then cp -i %p
/var/lib/pgsql/archive/%f </dev/null ; fi

which only returns non-zero if the copy fails.

If there's no objection I'll patch the docs accordingly - should they be
backpatched also?

cheers

andrew

Search Discussions

  • Bruce Momjian at Dec 17, 2007 at 9:02 am

    Andrew Dunstan wrote:

    The docs contain the following example of an archive_command for use
    with standalone hot backup:

    test -f /var/lib/pgsql/backup_in_progress && cp -i %p
    /var/lib/pgsql/archive/%f </dev/null

    Unfortunately, as I found out when I tried it, this command returns a
    non-zero (on Linux/bash) when the backup_in_progress file doesn't exist,
    which means that we keep accumulating WAL files when we should be
    recycling them.

    ISTM it would be better to use this:

    if test -f /var/lib/pgsql/backup_in_progress ; then cp -i %p
    /var/lib/pgsql/archive/%f </dev/null ; fi

    which only returns non-zero if the copy fails.

    If there's no objection I'll patch the docs accordingly - should they be
    backpatched also?
    Yea, that example was wrong. Good catch. I did found a cleaner way to
    implement it though:

    archive_command = 'test ! -f /var/lib/pgsql/backup_in_progress || cp -i %p /var/lib/pgsql/archive/%f &lt; /dev/null'

    That keeps the one-line format rather than the 'if' block with semicolons
    required. I have applied this to CVS.

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedDec 14, '07 at 3:17p
activeDec 17, '07 at 9:02a
websitepostgresql.org...
irc#postgresql

2 users in discussion

Bruce Momjian: 1 post Andrew Dunstan: 1 post