Somewhere along the way we seem to have made the syslogger's shutdown
message go to stderr, even if we have redirected it:

[andrew@constanza inst.test.5703]$ bin/pg_ctl -D data/ -w stop
waiting for server to shut down....LOG: logger shutting down
done
server stopped

Not sure if this is something we should worry about. I don't recall it
happening previously.

cheers

andrew

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Jul 23, 2007 at 12:05 am

    Andrew Dunstan writes:
    Somewhere along the way we seem to have made the syslogger's shutdown
    message go to stderr, even if we have redirected it:
    I'm pretty sure it has done that all along; at least the design
    intention is that messages generated by syslogger itself should go to
    its stderr. (Else, if the logger is having trouble, you might never get
    to find out why at all.)

    It might be reasonable to reduce "logger shutting down" to DEBUG1
    or so, now that the facility has been around for awhile.

    regards, tom lane
  • Magnus Hagander at Jul 23, 2007 at 7:53 am

    Somewhere along the way we seem to have made the syslogger's shutdown
    message go to stderr, even if we have redirected it:
    I'm pretty sure it has done that all along; at least the design
    intention is that messages generated by syslogger itself should go to
    its stderr. (Else, if the logger is having trouble, you might never get
    to find out why at all.)
    Yeah, I think it's been that way all along.
    It might be reasonable to reduce "logger shutting down" to DEBUG1
    or so, now that the facility has been around for awhile.
    +1.

    For example, many windows system have *only* that message in the eventlog,
    and nothing else... Which is kind of strange.

    It could be interesting to have it write it *to the logfile* though, since
    it'd then at least be in the same place as the others. As in special-casing
    this one message, and just ignore logging it in case it fails. But think
    we're fine just dropping the level.

    //Magnus
  • Tom Lane at Jul 23, 2007 at 2:46 pm

    Magnus Hagander writes:
    It could be interesting to have it write it *to the logfile* though, since
    it'd then at least be in the same place as the others.
    It does that too, no?

    regards, tom lane
  • Magnus Hagander at Jul 23, 2007 at 2:57 pm