Hello,

I read this as:

1. Fix makefiles so that contrib modules such as pgcrypto are not pg_crypto

2. Move directories to reflect above

3. Fix source and makefiles within sub project directories to create
binaries and libs with correct output.. thus libpgcrypto.so.0.0 would
become libpg_crypto.so.0.0

Is this correct? If so I personally would like to claim this TODO.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/

Search Discussions

  • Joshua D. Drake at Jun 8, 2006 at 10:15 pm

    Joshua D. Drake wrote:
    Hello,

    I read this as:

    1. Fix makefiles so that contrib modules such as pgcrypto are not pg_crypto
    err "are now"
    2. Move directories to reflect above

    3. Fix source and makefiles within sub project directories to create
    binaries and libs with correct output.. thus libpgcrypto.so.0.0 would
    become libpg_crypto.so.0.0

    Is this correct? If so I personally would like to claim this TODO.

    Joshua D. Drake

    http://www.commandprompt.com/
  • Tom Lane at Jun 8, 2006 at 10:28 pm

    1. Fix makefiles so that contrib modules such as pgcrypto are not pg_crypto
    2. Move directories to reflect above
    3. Fix source and makefiles within sub project directories to create
    binaries and libs with correct output.. thus libpgcrypto.so.0.0 would
    become libpg_crypto.so.0.0
    That will lose the CVS history of the modules, which is not worth the
    small benefit gained from more consistent-looking names. Renaming
    existing shared libraries is also a very bad idea, because it will
    break existing dump scripts.

    I don't know when that TODO item got put in, but it's a stupid idea.

    regards, tom lane
  • Joshua D. Drake at Jun 8, 2006 at 10:33 pm

    Tom Lane wrote:
    1. Fix makefiles so that contrib modules such as pgcrypto are not pg_crypto
    2. Move directories to reflect above
    3. Fix source and makefiles within sub project directories to create
    binaries and libs with correct output.. thus libpgcrypto.so.0.0 would
    become libpg_crypto.so.0.0
    That will lose the CVS history of the modules, which is not worth the
    small benefit gained from more consistent-looking names. Renaming
    existing shared libraries is also a very bad idea, because it will
    break existing dump scripts.

    I don't know when that TODO item got put in, but it's a stupid idea.
    O.k. just trying to help :)

    Joshua D. Drake
    regards, tom lane

    http://www.commandprompt.com/
  • Marc G. Fournier at Jun 8, 2006 at 11:10 pm

    1. Fix makefiles so that contrib modules such as pgcrypto are not pg_crypto
    2. Move directories to reflect above
    3. Fix source and makefiles within sub project directories to create
    binaries and libs with correct output.. thus libpgcrypto.so.0.0 would
    become libpg_crypto.so.0.0
    That will lose the CVS history of the modules
    Umm, if co-ordinated with me, I can make the name changes at the file
    system level, so that history isn't lost ..

    ----
    Email . scrappy@hub.org MSN . scrappy@hub.org
    Yahoo . yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ . 7615664
  • Andrew Dunstan at Jun 8, 2006 at 11:19 pm

    Marc G. Fournier said:
    1. Fix makefiles so that contrib modules such as pgcrypto are not
    pg_crypto 2. Move directories to reflect above
    3. Fix source and makefiles within sub project directories to create
    binaries and libs with correct output.. thus libpgcrypto.so.0.0 would
    become libpg_crypto.so.0.0
    That will lose the CVS history of the modules
    Umm, if co-ordinated with me, I can make the name changes at the file
    system level, so that history isn't lost ..

    Renaming directories is nasty in CVS no matter which way you look at it - it
    is one of the known bad limitations. You might preserve the history but you
    could also break every existing repo copy. See
    http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/cvs-1.11.15/cvs_7.html#SEC74

    Unless there is a *very* good reason this should be avoided.

    cheers

    andrew
  • Tom Lane at Jun 8, 2006 at 11:37 pm

    "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
    Renaming directories is nasty in CVS no matter which way you look at it - it
    is one of the known bad limitations. You might preserve the history but you
    could also break every existing repo copy. See
    http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/cvs-1.11.15/cvs_7.html#SEC74
    Unless there is a *very* good reason this should be avoided.
    I think the we-shouldn't-rename-the-shlibs argument is sufficient to
    kill the idea, quite aside from CVS limitations.

    regards, tom lane
  • Bruce Momjian at Jun 9, 2006 at 1:01 am

    Tom Lane wrote:
    "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
    Renaming directories is nasty in CVS no matter which way you look at it - it
    is one of the known bad limitations. You might preserve the history but you
    could also break every existing repo copy. See
    http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/cvs-1.11.15/cvs_7.html#SEC74
    Unless there is a *very* good reason this should be avoided.
    I think the we-shouldn't-rename-the-shlibs argument is sufficient to
    kill the idea, quite aside from CVS limitations.
    TODO removed.

    --
    Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us

grouppgsql-hackers @