Tom Lane wrote:
This addresses the technical workings of the various backup systems.
The fact that it is or isn't on-line, hot, continuous, fast, or flexible
is secondary.
To me, the continuous activity is the significant feature of that backup
method. I chose "Continuous Backup" because it is the continual
activity that is significant. "Continuous Archiving"?
I like Peter's suggestion as-is; or "WAL Archiving". I don't like
applying adjectives that are not specific to the particular method.
That will just create more confusion down the road if we add another
feature that could also be called "continuous archiving".
I do like "WAL Archiving" but I am concerned that it references a
specific internal implementation detail (WAL). Is that OK? Also, I am
concerned that is specificially talks about archiving the wal files and
is not general enough to include the file system backup that is also
necessary.

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us
SRA OSS, Inc. http://www.sraoss.com