I just traced starting up a postmaster, and got over 38000 lines like this:

stat64("/etc/localtime", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=1267, ...}) = 0

I assume it comes from the timezone library, but it seems highly
inefficient. Anyone know why we might get this?

cheers

andrew

Search Discussions

  • Magnus Hagander at Jan 8, 2006 at 2:05 pm

    I just traced starting up a postmaster, and got over 38000
    lines like this:

    stat64("/etc/localtime", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644,
    st_size=1267, ...}) = 0

    I assume it comes from the timezone library, but it seems
    highly inefficient. Anyone know why we might get this?
    Without digging into details, I would guess htat comes from the probing
    of available timezones to find one that matches the current one. We do a
    whole lot of setting/resetting the TZ there - but only during postmaster
    startup.

    //Magnus
  • Tom Lane at Jan 8, 2006 at 7:47 pm

    Andrew Dunstan writes:
    I just traced starting up a postmaster, and got over 38000 lines like this:
    stat64("/etc/localtime", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=1267, ...}) = 0
    I assume it comes from the timezone library, but it seems highly
    inefficient. Anyone know why we might get this?
    glibc's strftime does that if you don't have a TZ value set in the
    postmaster's environment.

    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-10/msg00884.php

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-hackers @