I haven't seen this option, and does anyone thing it is a good idea?

A option to pg_dump and maybe pg_dump all, that dumps only the table
declarations and the data. No owners, tablespace, nothing.

This, I think, would allow more generic PostgreSQL data transfers.

Search Discussions

  • Tino Wildenhain at Aug 4, 2005 at 3:39 pm

    I haven't seen this option, and does anyone thing it is a good idea?

    A option to pg_dump and maybe pg_dump all, that dumps only the table
    declarations and the data. No owners, tablespace, nothing.

    This, I think, would allow more generic PostgreSQL data transfers.
    pg_dump -s maybe?

    See man pg_dump:

    -s

    --schema-only
    Dump only the object definitions (schema), not data.

    Usually one dumps the database with -Fc and then construct
    SQL for data and DDL via pg_restore from this binary dump.
    You can then use pg_restore -l, edit (for example via sed)
    and use it with -L to only generate SQL for these objects.

    --
    Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de>
  • Mark L. Woodward at Aug 4, 2005 at 3:47 pm

    I haven't seen this option, and does anyone thing it is a good idea?

    A option to pg_dump and maybe pg_dump all, that dumps only the table
    declarations and the data. No owners, tablespace, nothing.

    This, I think, would allow more generic PostgreSQL data transfers.
    pg_dump -s maybe?

    See man pg_dump:

    -s

    --schema-only
    Dump only the object definitions (schema), not data.

    Usually one dumps the database with -Fc and then construct
    SQL for data and DDL via pg_restore from this binary dump.
    You can then use pg_restore -l, edit (for example via sed)
    and use it with -L to only generate SQL for these objects.
    Actually, there isn't a setting to just dump the able definitions and the
    data. When you dump the schema, it includes all the tablespaces,
    namespaces, owners, etc.

    Just the table nd object declarations and data would be useful.
  • Tino Wildenhain at Aug 4, 2005 at 4:00 pm

[...]

    Reread my comment on the -l / -L option to pg_restore. You can
    do all that with it :-)

    --
    Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de>
  • Tom Lane at Aug 4, 2005 at 4:45 pm

    "Mark Woodward" <pgsql@mohawksoft.com> writes:
    Actually, there isn't a setting to just dump the able definitions and the
    data. When you dump the schema, it includes all the tablespaces,
    namespaces, owners, etc.
    Just the table nd object declarations and data would be useful.
    pg_dump -t table ?

    regards, tom lane
  • Mark L. Woodward at Aug 4, 2005 at 5:26 pm

    "Mark Woodward" <pgsql@mohawksoft.com> writes:
    Actually, there isn't a setting to just dump the able definitions and
    the
    data. When you dump the schema, it includes all the tablespaces,
    namespaces, owners, etc.
    Just the table nd object declarations and data would be useful.
    pg_dump -t table ?
    I guess what I'm not being very clear.

    pg_dump -# mydb

    --
    -- PostgreSQL database dump
    --

    SET client_encoding = 'SQL_ASCII';
    SET check_function_bodies = false;

    SET default_with_oids = true;

    --
    -- Name: rtz; Type: TABLE; Schema: public; Owner: markw; Tablespace:
    --

    CREATE TABLE rtz (
    tlid integer,

    --
    -- Data for Name: rtz; Type: TABLE DATA; Schema: public; Owner: markw
    --

    COPY rtz (tlid, rtsq, zip4l, zip4r) FROM stdin;
    208014102 0 0 0

    That way, it can go "easily" between various PG versions.

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedAug 4, '05 at 2:21p
activeAug 4, '05 at 5:26p