I have already
suggested to core that we should insist on 8.1 not requiring an initdb,
so as to ensure that people will migrate up to it easily from 8.0.
So is it firm policy that changes that require a catversion update
cannot be made during the 8.1 cycle?
Not yet --- I suggested it but didn't get any yeas or nays. I don't
feel this is solely core's decision anyway ... what do the assembled
hackers think?
(Needless to say, it would be good to get this sorted out early on in
the 8.1 development cycle, to avoid the need to revert patches at some
point down the line. For those of us working on large projects that
will definitely require an initdb, it would also be good to know -- as
this policy will likely prevent that work from getting into 8.1)
Yes, it has to be decided one way or the other soon.
One way to have our cake and eat it too would be for someone to
resurrect pg_upgrade during this devel cycle. Anyone feel like
working on that?
Yup. I feel like working on that and not just feel as I been noising
about it in the recent past. In fact I have opend a pgfoundry project for
that exact work.
regards, tom lane
--
Serguei A. Mokhov | /~\ The ASCII
Computer Science Department | \ / Ribbon Campaign

Search Discussions

  • Michael Adler at Jan 20, 2005 at 8:52 pm
    (only tangentally on topic)

    Interesting tail on the problems of MyISAM tables, disk write-caching,
    and sharing space with people who can't resist pushing the big red
    button. Only tangentally on topic.

    http://www.livejournal.com/community/lj_dev/670215.html

    I wonder what livejournal would look like if they used pg instead
    mysql. They had to figure out some ways of working around the
    pessimistic locking of the non-MVCC approach, but they've also made
    use of the replication features that might not have been available
    until recently in pg.

    http://www.danga.com/words/2004_mysqlcon/mysql-slides.pdf

    -Mike Adler

grouppgsql-hackers @