I did not modify the format of the zic timezone database files, which
means that for the moment the system will not know about daylight-savings
periods outside the range 1901-2038. Given the way the files are set up,
it's not a simple decision like 'widen to 64 bits'; we have to actually
think about the range of years that need to be supported. We should
probably inquire what the plans of the upstream zic people are before
making any decisions of our own.
Are the zic files something that should be updated for every minor
release, or only for every major release?

Chris

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Jun 3, 2004 at 3:41 am

    Christopher Kings-Lynne writes:
    Are the zic files something that should be updated for every minor
    release, or only for every major release?
    AFAIK they don't change very often.

    regards, tom lane
  • Euler Taveira de Oliveira at Jun 3, 2004 at 4:14 pm
    Hi Tom,
    Are the zic files something that should be updated for every minor
    release, or only for every major release?
    AFAIK they don't change very often.
    I'm not sure. In Brazil, we change it every year 'cause we have 'summer
    time'. See src/timezone/data/southamerica
    I think we can change it when we need it.

    Euler Taveira de Oliveira
    euler (at) ufgnet.ufg.br
    Desenvolvedor Web e Administrador de Sistemas
    UFGNet - Universidade Federal de Goiás
  • Tom Lane at Jun 3, 2004 at 4:23 pm

    Euler Taveira de Oliveira writes:
    Are the zic files something that should be updated for every minor
    release, or only for every major release?
    AFAIK they don't change very often.
    I'm not sure. In Brazil, we change it every year 'cause we have 'summer
    time'. See src/timezone/data/southamerica
    Sure, but your politicians don't invent a new rule for the transition
    dates every year, do they? Unless the rules change there's no need for
    new zic files.

    [ looks at southamerica zic file ... ] Hmm, maybe they do. I think
    most places have a more settled approach though.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedJun 3, '04 at 2:13a