Any reason why postgres can't detect time zone on my machine automatically?

LOG: could not recognize system timezone, defaulting to "Etc/GMT-8"
HINT: You can specify the correct timezone in postgresql.conf.
postmaster starting
-bash-2.05b$ LOG: database system was shut down at 2004-05-31 15:19:00
GMT-8
LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/A47C80
LOG: redo record is at 0/A47C80; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG: next transaction ID: 536; next OID: 17218
LOG: database system is ready

-bash-2.05b$ date
Mon May 31 15:21:10 WST 2004

Search Discussions

  • Claudio Natoli at May 31, 2004 at 7:39 am

    Christopher Kings-Lynne writes:
    Any reason why postgres can't detect time zone on my machine
    automatically?

    LOG: could not recognize system timezone, defaulting to "Etc/GMT-8"
    HINT: You can specify the correct timezone in postgresql.conf.
    postmaster starting
    -bash-2.05b$ LOG: database system was shut down at
    2004-05-31 15:19:00
    GMT-8
    LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/A47C80
    LOG: redo record is at 0/A47C80; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
    LOG: next transaction ID: 536; next OID: 17218
    LOG: database system is ready

    -bash-2.05b$ date
    Mon May 31 15:21:10 WST 2004
    I'm guessing the TZ code isn't identifying Aussie timezones. I'm getting the
    same message, albeit Etc/GMT-10. If anyone who hacked on the TZ code
    (Magnus, Bruce, ...) wants me to add a few printfs to trace this down, pleae
    get in touch with me.

    Cheers,
    Claudio

    ---
    <a
    ailpolicy.html</a>
  • Christopher Kings-Lynne at May 31, 2004 at 8:20 am

    Any reason why postgres can't detect time zone on my machine
    automatically?
    I'm guessing the TZ code isn't identifying Aussie timezones. I'm getting the
    same message, albeit Etc/GMT-10. If anyone who hacked on the TZ code
    (Magnus, Bruce, ...) wants me to add a few printfs to trace this down, pleae
    get in touch with me.
    Yeah, I set australian_timezones to true in my postgresql.conf and it
    still fails.

    Chris
  • Tom Lane at May 31, 2004 at 4:48 pm

    Christopher Kings-Lynne writes:
    Any reason why postgres can't detect time zone on my machine
    automatically?
    I'm guessing the TZ code isn't identifying Aussie timezones.
    So what *is* your zone, exactly? I don't see how you expect us to
    figure out why it's not matching when we don't know what it's not
    matching.

    There already are some debug printouts in CVS tip. If you set
    log_min_messages to debug4 or debug5 you should get reams of
    log messages about why each tested TZ setting didn't seem to match
    the system's timezone. If you could send along the output for
    the zones that seem like reasonable candidates to match, it'd help.

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedMay 31, '04 at 7:16a