I am getting farther with the timezone library on Unix.

First, I realized that the share/timezone library doesn't have a
localtime file by default, so the PostgreSQL server doesn't know the
local timezone. I added that and got:

test=> select current_timestamp;
timestamptz
-------------------------------
2004-04-30 18:52:14.930852+00
(1 row)

test=> select timeofday();
timeofday
-------------------------------------
Fri Apr 30 22:52:17.686324 2004 EDT
(1 row)

(How are we going to deal with the missing localtime file?)

It is obviously seeing my local timezone, but it doesn't know that it is
+04. It is at least reading the right directory.

To test, define USE_PGTZ in pg_config.h and set USE_PGTZ=yes in Makefile.global.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
pgman@candle.pha.pa.us | (610) 359-1001

grouppgsql-hackers @