-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Eisentraut
Sent: 17 November 2003 23:31
To: Josh Berkus
Cc: pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org; pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [pgsql-advocacy] Not 7.5, but 8.0 ?

Josh Berkus writes:
Given all that, don't people think it's time to jump to 8.0?
As has been said before, many people think that a Windows
port is the least interesting feature ever to happen to
PostgreSQL, so you're going to have to come up with better
reasons.
Least interesting to many user perhaps, but lost of them seen to think
that it's important for expanding our userbase:
http://www.postgresql.org/survey.php?View=1&SurveyID=9

That can't be a bad thing.

Regards, Dave.

Search Discussions

  • Peter Eisentraut at Nov 18, 2003 at 9:22 am

    Dave Page writes:

    Least interesting to many user perhaps, but lost of them seen to think
    that it's important for expanding our userbase:
    http://www.postgresql.org/survey.php?View=1&SurveyID=9
    That survey is a bit like asking television viewers, "What do you think
    would attract the most new television viewers?"

    33% -- better entertainment

    That does not say that better entertainment will attract new viewers, just
    that the existing viewers think that. Most nonviewers might in fact be
    perfectly content with their way of living.

    --
    Peter Eisentraut peter_e@gmx.net
  • Josh Berkus at Nov 18, 2003 at 5:27 pm

    Well, based on the feedback we're getting from the 7.4 release, the #1 issue
    for non-postgresql users who are interested enough to post to message boards
    is "Where is the Windows Port?" This gets mentioned roughly 10 times as
    often as any other potential feature.

    So the Windows port is a mostly question of what matters to people who
    *aren't* using PostgreSQL currently, assuming we want our community to grow
    (and I think we do, since communities which don't grow die). For many if
    not most of our current users it doesn't matter as much, becuase if it did
    they wouldn't be using PostgreSQL.

    But it affects current users too. I had to pass on two potential contracts
    in 2003 because the use of Windows servers was stipulated. The second of
    these I was really put out about since it was a scheduling application,
    something that both I and PostgreSQL excel at were it not on Windows. You
    probably aren't faced with this issue as much in Germany, but it happens
    often to us folks in the US & Canada.

    --
    Josh Berkus
    Aglio Database Solutions