I want to make a contribution.
It is a new (to pgsql) procedural language.
Currently it already works (but debugging output
is not disabled yet).

I've got some questions and considerations, please, correct me
if I am wrong:

I understand that pgsql uses autoconf but not other autotools.
The best location for such contribution is in
src/pl/pl<lang-name>

Now, how do I include my PL into the build list?
What files must I provide? (preferrably, by borrowing
them from another PL, e.g. PLPERL or TCL])

Currently, I compile the C source by hands:
cc -fpic -I /pgsql/src/include -c plpfe.c
cc -shared -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,
/usr/local/lib/pfe -o plpfe.so plpfe.o -lpfe

One part of the implementation resides in the pfe build tree,
but it needs postgres.h and fmgr.h

Currently I use
#include "/pgsql/src/include/postgres.h"
#include "/pgsql/src/include/fmgr.h"
(/pgsql is a symlink to the PostgreSQL*.*.* directory)
but IMO there should be a better way.

Should I publish the project as plpfe.sf.net, or there's
a better location?

I also composed PLSAMPLE (the same implementation
components, but empty). IMO, it (PLSAMPLE) also should be
there in the PSQL distribution.

regards, mlg

Search Discussions

  • Peter Eisentraut at Sep 25, 2003 at 11:12 am

    mlg3 writes:

    I understand that pgsql uses autoconf but not other autotools.
    The best location for such contribution is in
    src/pl/pl<lang-name>

    Now, how do I include my PL into the build list?
    What files must I provide? (preferrably, by borrowing
    them from another PL, e.g. PLPERL or TCL])
    There is currently some disagreement about whether every now procedural
    language implementation should be included in the core distribution. If
    you choose to distribute your package separately, you can take a look at
    http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/plsh.html as an example for how to
    package it.
    I also composed PLSAMPLE (the same implementation
    components, but empty). IMO, it (PLSAMPLE) also should be
    there in the PSQL distribution.
    I think there is enough documentation about this already. Creating a PL
    handler is not a common task. But if you have concrete points that you
    would like to have mentioned somewhere, please tell us about them.

    --
    Peter Eisentraut peter_e@gmx.net
  • Robert Treat at Sep 25, 2003 at 3:38 pm