PgPeople:

I thought this bug was fixed in 7.2.4:

DBD::PgPP::st execute failed: ERROR: Parent tuple was not found
Process Failed: ERROR: Parent tuple was not found
from step VACUUM FULL ANALYZE

version
PostgreSQL 7.2.4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.2 20020903
(Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)
(1 row)

(a second VACUUM FULL ANALYZE succeeded)

--
Josh Berkus
josh@agliodbs.com

Search Discussions

  • Tom Lane at Feb 26, 2003 at 10:16 pm

    Josh Berkus writes:
    I thought this bug was fixed in 7.2.4:
    DBD::PgPP::st execute failed: ERROR: Parent tuple was not found
    (a second VACUUM FULL ANALYZE succeeded)
    IIRC, for 7.2.* we only attempted to fix the variants that resulted in
    hard (repeatable) errors. You've got the soft variant there.

    The 7.3 sources explain that in fact this condition isn't an error, but
    is an expected case in some situations (the example given is where a row
    has been updated twice in the same transaction). So the fix is to
    downgrade the error to a DEBUG log message and adjust the code to let it
    keep going rather than erroring out. This change struck me as too risky
    to put into 7.2.* for a nonfatal condition, though. That part of VACUUM
    is a real mare's nest, and I dislike messing with it in production
    branches.

    (I suppose that at this point we might consider the additional mods
    proven by 7.3 field experience, and could consider back-porting them
    if there are any further 7.2 releases.)

    regards, tom lane

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql