Using current CVS sources (as of 1500 EDT), 'make check' fails at the
database initialization step.

This box is running RH 7.3 with all current RH updates, and has
successfully built Pg 7.2.1 and 7.2.2.

Here's how I'm configuring it (same as I'm doing under the RH Null Beta,
which works fine):

./configure --prefix=/opt/postgresql --with-java --with-python --with-openssl --enable-syslog --enable-debug --enable-cassert
--enable-depend

Here's what src/test/regress/log/initdb.log says:

Running with noclean mode on. Mistakes will not be cleaned up.
/home/gar/src/pgsql/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/install//opt/postgresql/bin/pg_encoding: relocation error: /home/gar/src/pgsql/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/install//opt/postgresql/bin/pg_encoding: undefined symbol: pg_char_to_encoding
initdb: pg_encoding failed

Perhaps you did not configure PostgreSQL for multibyte support or
the program was not successfully installed.

My understanding is that --enable-multibyte is now the default on 7.3,
and indeed it works fine on RH Null.

I also did a diff of the config.log on both boxes, and didn't see
any major differences (little things like not having the SGML/Docbook
stuff on this box).

If the config.log files would be useful, I can send them.

Thanks,

Gordon.

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer
is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Search Discussions

  • Gordon Runkle at Aug 31, 2002 at 12:01 am
    [This is an email copy of a Usenet post to "comp.databases.postgresql.hackers"]

    I just checked out another CVS snapshot onto a RH 7.2 box, and 'make
    check' can successfully do the initdb.

    I updated the source on the RH 7.3 box, and still get the initdb failure.

    I updated the source on the RH Null box, and 'make check' can
    successfully do the initdb.

    Anyone else having issues on RH 7.3?

    G.
[...]

  • Tom Lane at Aug 31, 2002 at 12:15 am

    Gordon Runkle writes:
    Running with noclean mode on. Mistakes will not be cleaned up.
    /home/gar/src/pgsql/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/install//opt/postgresql/bin/pg_encoding: relocation error: /home/gar/src/pgsql/src/test/regress/./tmp_check/install//opt/postgresql/bin/pg_encoding: undefined symbol: pg_char_to_encoding
    initdb: pg_encoding failed
    I think the dynamic linker is picking up a non-multibyte-enabled version
    of libpq.so. Check your ldconfig setup.

    regards, tom lane
  • Gordon Runkle at Aug 31, 2002 at 12:50 am
    Thanks, Tom,

    My /etc/ld.so.conf didn't have /opt/postgresql/lib in it, yet when I
    renamed /opt/postgresql (which was v7.2.2) to something else, the initdb
    succeeded. I'm not sure why it went looking up there...

    Thanks again,

    Gordon.
    --
    "Far and away the best prize that life has to offer
    is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

grouppgsql-hackers @
categoriespostgresql
postedAug 30, '02 at 7:44p