Marc G. Fournier wrote:

Good morning ...

On the 26th of January, 2002, the PostgreSQL Global Development
Group packaged up and released v7.2rc2 of our upcoming release. rc1 was
released as a 'hackers-only' release, since there were several bugs quickly
found ...

I have to admit to a certain curiosity. Who attended the Ouiji-board
session that predicted that several bugs would be found quickly,
requiring RC1 to be a "hackers-only" release instead of a real one?

OK, I can't type understandable prose any better than anyone else here,
but I did find the wording entertaining.

(And, Marc, please don't take offense, that's not the intent).

Search Discussions

  • Marc G. Fournier at Jan 27, 2002 at 7:14 am

    On the 26th of January, 2002, the PostgreSQL Global Development
    Group packaged up and released v7.2rc2 of our upcoming release. rc1 was
    released as a 'hackers-only' release, since there were several bugs quickly
    found ...

    I have to admit to a certain curiosity. Who attended the Ouiji-board
    session that predicted that several bugs would be found quickly,
    requiring RC1 to be a "hackers-only" release instead of a real one?

    OK, I can't type understandable prose any better than anyone else here,
    but I did find the wording entertaining.

    (And, Marc, please don't take offense, that's not the intent).
    No offense .. the usual release procedure is to roll the tar ball, put it
    on hackers for ~24hrs for limited testing, before a more formal release
    ... some of the folks at Redhat picks up a couple of issues within that
    24hr period that needs to be fixed before that more formal release, so we
    just held off, fixed those and re-rolled as rc2 in case some ppl had
    picked up rc1 without the release announcements :)
  • Lamar Owen at Jan 28, 2002 at 4:46 am