Its wrap'd and on the main ftp site now, to be propogated as mirrors pull
it ... will announce tomorrow, to give the mirrors a chance to grab, but
if anyone wants to take a quick peek, make sure everything looks okay that
would be cool ... file sizes look about right based on the past betas ...

Search Discussions

  • Trond Eivind Glomsrød at Jan 23, 2002 at 4:49 pm
    The autoconf test for C++ doesn't work with standard-enforcing
    compilers....

    [teg@halden teg]$ cat foo.C
    #include <string>

    int main(int argc, char **argv){
    string foo="xyzzy";
    return 0;
    }
    [teg@halden teg]$ c++ foo.C -o foo
    foo.C: In function `int main(int, char**)':
    foo.C:4: `string' undeclared (first use this function)
    foo.C:4: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it
    appears in.)
    foo.C:4: parse error before `=' token
    [teg@halden teg]$

    The standard mandates that string is accessed in one of the following
    ways:

    [teg@halden teg]$ cat foo2.C
    #include <string>

    using namespace std;

    int main(int argc, char **argv){
    string foo="xyzzy";
    return 0;
    }
    [teg@halden teg]$ cat foo3.C
    #include <string>

    int main(int argc, char **argv){
    std::string foo="xyzzy";
    return 0;
    }
    [teg@halden teg]$

    Some compilers accept the old way (and namespaces have been available
    for quite some time now), others (like upcoming gcc 3.1) don't.
    --
    Trond Eivind Glomsrød
    Red Hat, Inc.

    Trond Eivind =?iso-8859-1?q?Glomsr=F8d?= writes:
    The autoconf test for C++ doesn't work with standard-enforcing
    compilers....
    Exactly what part of it doesn't work? AFAICT, the first test is
    just to see if
    #include <string>
    succeeds, and if that works then we do not try the section you seem
    to be blaming. So it looks to me like a compiler that conforms
    to the C++-standard-of-the-month should work fine: both
    HAVE_CXX_STRING_HEADER and HAVE_NAMESPACE_STD should become set.
    What are you seeing?

    regards, tom lane
  • Trond Eivind Glomsrød at Jan 24, 2002 at 7:47 pm

    The autoconf test for C++ doesn't work with standard-enforcing
    compilers....
    Exactly what part of it doesn't work? AFAICT, the first test is
    just to see if
    #include <string>
    succeeds, and if that works then we do not try the section you seem
    to be blaming. So it looks to me like a compiler that conforms
    to the C++-standard-of-the-month should work fine: both
    HAVE_CXX_STRING_HEADER and HAVE_NAMESPACE_STD should become set.
    What are you seeing?
    I saw it failing... however, the cause for this failing was the use of
    multiline literals (cc_version). The compilers warns about this being
    deprecated, and autoconf thinks this means the test failed. See the other
    patch I posted yesterday.

    --
    Trond Eivind Glomsrød
    Red Hat, Inc.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Eivind_Glomsr=F8d?= <teg@redhat.com> writes:
    What are you seeing?
    I saw it failing... however, the cause for this failing was the use of
    multiline literals (cc_version). The compilers warns about this being
    deprecated, and autoconf thinks this means the test failed.
    Ah. So with the "head -1" fix we should be good to go?

    regards, tom lane
  • Trond Eivind Glomsrød at Jan 24, 2002 at 7:59 pm

    I saw it failing... however, the cause for this failing was the use of
    multiline literals (cc_version). The compilers warns about this being
    deprecated, and autoconf thinks this means the test failed.
    Ah. So with the "head -1" fix we should be good to go?
    Autoconfwise, yes.

    --
    Trond Eivind Glomsrød
    Red Hat, Inc.